Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

option to report bottom or top of text #1001

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 27, 2010 · 5 comments
Open

option to report bottom or top of text #1001

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 27, 2010 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by simon818 on 2010-10-27 21:47
This is relatively minor, but I think it would be useful.
Today I was reading through an email containing several long htt links. While the first part of each link was similar, the end of each one was different, and while I could easily have done something like pressing end and right arrow, there really wasn't an easy way of virtually glancing over the page and seeing when I was at the end. This led me to my idea. Could we have an option, perhaps in document formatting, to have NVDA announce the bottom or top of the document as soon as it's reached. In theory, the announcement would only occur after the user pressed down arrow to the last line, then pressed it again, making it less annoying for those who already knew they were getting to the bottom of the document. But it would also alert the user if he or she reached the bottom and didn't know it. This is a half formed idea, but I'm curious to see what others think.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by KevanGC on 2010-10-28 04:26
Good idea. You guys should also make it so when you're at the end of the line it says so.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by nvdakor on 2015-06-12 05:24
Hi,
This is already done for review cursor, but not sure if it can be done easily for caret. Besides, some apps may not expose this easily.
For anyone willing to implement this, try borrowing top/bottom line commands in global commands module.
Thanks.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 18, 2017

@Simon818 Are you the same one who reported this. If so, do you recall if you wanted this specifically for browse mode, or for text controls in general?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This could be indicated by a sound when speech refactor is implemented.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually this is possible now when you choose paragraph properties = "one linebreak" or "multi linebreaks" in document navigation settings in NVDA settings dialog. Then you press ctrl+up or ctrl+down arrow and NVDA announces "no previous paragraph" or "no next paragraph" when you reach the beginning or the end of the document. However, this is implemented only for paragraph by paragraph navigation, not for character by character, word by word or line by line navigation.
@rob-aph since you added the document navigation settings to NVDA, is it difficult to implement the same announcement for character, word and line navigation as well?
Maybe adding a sound to it via speech refactor as documented in #7599?

By the way, when using single or multiline break for paragraph navigation and you reach the beginning or the end of the document, NVDA announces this but then it doesn't repeat the paragraph itself. So if there is only one paragraph without linebreaks, you only hear "no previous" or "no next paragraph" when pressing ctrl+up and down arrow keys, but you don't hear the text.
Expected behavior: nVDA should repeat the paragraph even though you reached the beginning or the end of the document. This is how it works when paragraphs are handled by the application.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants