Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

more quick navigation keys for the virtual buffer #102

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 11 comments
Closed

more quick navigation keys for the virtual buffer #102

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mohammed on 2008-06-04 19:06
It would be nice if the following quick navigation keys could be added:

• r: radio button
  • x: check box
  • c: combo box
  • m: frame
  • q: blocq quote
  • s: separator
  • g: graphic
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mohammed on 2008-06-04 19:08
since this may or may not be related, so advise if this should be opened as a new feature request:

next heading of level x, where x = 1 through 6.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by chris1988 (in reply to comment description) on 2008-06-04 19:11
Replying to mohammed:

more quick navigation keys for the vertual buffer:

we currently have the following single letter navigation keys:

h: heading

l: list

i: list item

k: link

t: table

f: form

it would be nice if we also have:

v: visited link

e: edit box

r: radio button

x: check box

b: button

c: combo box

m: frame

q: blocq quote

Hello,
We currently do have the following key commands:
e for edit fields
b for buttons
v for visited links.
I think there are other tickets for the other quick key navigations.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by pvagner on 2008-06-04 19:58
Hello,
This is all debatable and I am sure we will get more comments on this.
I'd just like to complete the list of quick navigation keys which are already implemented.

v: visited link
u: unvisited link
e: edit box
b: button

While I am reading some discussion forums e.g. based off of phpBB or Vbuletin software I can see posts are delimited by the field with role separator. Perhaps I'd like to get quick navigation for jumping to the separator if I am not alone.

Also if the adobe flash application is folloving standards it seems to be correctly exposed to accessibility apis. It can therefore be quite usable with NVDA's object navigation. Would it be possible to add a quick navigation scripts for jumping to embedded objects?
Changes:
Changed title from "more quick navigation keys for the vertual buffer" to "more quick navigation keys for the virtual buffer"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Iris on 2008-06-05 00:40
Currently, we already have the button, visited link, and edit field commands.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2008-06-11 22:01
Adding new quick navigation keys for individual elements is in most cases relatively trivial. However, I don't want to add quick navigation keys just for the sake of adding them. I can justify the addition of separator and frame, but I'm not sure of the usefulness of combo box, radio button, check box and block quote. These are just elements on a page; they have no real relevance to common page structure. One might argue that we do have button and edit field, but I can justify those:

• Buttons indicate an action that can be performed. Aside from the obvious structural significance, they may well indicate the end of a form.
  • Edit fields are often the biggest or most important part of a form. While there may be many form controls, the edit fields often have some structural significance in dividing sections, etc.
    If people can provide use cases to justify these, they probably do need to be added.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh (in reply to comment 1) on 2008-06-11 22:03
Replying to mohammed:

since this may or may not be related, so advise if this should be opened as a new feature request:

next heading of level x, where x = 1 through 6.

It is related, but it is much more difficult to implement, so should be opened as a separate ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2008-06-11 23:33
Frame (m) and separator (s) quick nav keys added in r2117.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by Iris (in reply to comment description) on 2008-06-12 05:58
Replying to mohammed:

It would be nice if the following quick navigation keys could be added:

• r: radio button
  • x: check box
  • c: combo box
  • m: frame
  • q: blocq quote
  • s: separator

I would also like to append N and shift+N for next and previous blocks of text. As it stands now, it's very time-consuming to read through a webpage with the paragraph or downarrow keys just to find the next block of text. Furthermore, I would like to suggest G and shift+G for next and previous graphics. However, the one mostly needed would be the blocks of text navigation key.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh (in reply to comment 8) on 2008-06-12 06:09
Replying to Iris:

I would also like to append N and shift+N for next and previous blocks of text.

This is already covered in #71. See my last comment there and provide feedback if possible. The term "block of text" is very ambiguous.

Furthermore, I would like to suggest G and shift+G for next and previous graphics.

Is this actually useful in terms of the structure of the document? This one is actually pretty trivial to implement, but I don't follow its practicality.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mohammed on 2008-06-12 11:09
I just wanted to "justify" the use of the letter c to jump to the next combo box. in many sites, you would want to only use a combo box to, for example, change language, change country, or change accessibility options.

note that often combo boxes will be on their own, not as a part of a form, like with a button.

as for x for checkboxes, it may be slightly justified to bypass a big chunk of read only control, like agreement to some tos.

I am with the idea of implimenting all possible quick navigation keys as long as this doesn't have a negative effect on something else. what if we add them now even "just for the sake of adding them"? what evil will this cause?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2008-06-20 02:22
Implemented in r2149.

A separate ticket, #118r, has been opened for the heading level quick navigation keys.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants