Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should read the wireless status in windows XP #1198

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 13, 2010 · 13 comments
Closed

NVDA should read the wireless status in windows XP #1198

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 13, 2010 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by RamboUdin on 2010-11-13 12:38
note: use windows XP.
STR.

1. Open network connection.
  2. (You must have wireless network): choose wireless.
  3. If you've connected to a network, then a dialog appear. Choose, "view wireless networks" button.
  4. Press alt+w, to move to the network list.
  5. Perform a say line.

Actual result: NVDA says, "network name signal strength: very low (etc)"

description: NVDA doesn't read the network status whether it is connected, or automatic, manual etc.

expected result: NVDA should says, "network name connected (or automatic etc) signal strength: very low etc etc etc"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 01:50
Please fix this.
In windows 7 it works, but in XP it doesn't work. It works well with jfw or WE.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2010-11-16 02:10
This is not an NVDA issue. The information is communicated differently between Windows XP and Windows 7. I see the following here:
jantrid Signal Strength: Low Security-enabled wireless network (WPA2) This network is a preferred network You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network, click Disconnect.
Note the "You are currently connected to this network." I realise this is further into the text, but you can easily use review by word to find this bit of the text. In addition, you can hit tab to determine whether the button is named Connect or Disconnect and figure it out that way.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to None
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 02:28
But, you cannot know whether it is connected, acquiring network address, or limited or no connectivity. Therefore, this should be fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2010-11-16 02:32
Replying to RamboUdin:

But, you cannot know whether it is connected, acquiring network address, or limited or no connectivity.

The text I mentioned should change depending on what is happening.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 02:33
How do i know that?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2010-11-16 02:37
I mean the bit that says "You are currently connected to this network." It should change depending on the network state. I can't be sure, as the wireless connection on my XP machine is very dodgy. Someone else might need to look into this.

In any case, Windows simply isn't exposing further info to accessibility APIs.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 02:40
I think this needs video intercept. Because, JFW can read that but narrator cannot. NVDA also can't do this task. Any idea about video intercept or things like that?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2010-11-16 02:44
Why do you need this? As I noted above, the text says "You are currently connected to this network." Have you checked whether this changes for the other states?

It looks like "connected" is exposed on screen. We can use display text instead of querying MSAA, but if we do, we will lose the signal strength information. I'll wager JAWS does not report signal strength in this list because of this. Given that the connected state is provided later, I'd rather leave it as is so we don't lose signal strength.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 02:47
no, the text doesn't change unless you disconnect the network, it change.

JFW says the graphic replacing the signal strength text. I've labled it. But, rather than hearing the signal strength, why don't we hear the the "connected" text? Signal strength is not very important, because it not always change, and we can look that in system tray.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh (in reply to comment 9) on 2010-11-16 02:53
Replying to RamboUdin:

But, rather than hearing the signal strength, why don't we hear the the "connected" text?

If you're just interested in connected status, the "You are currrently connected to this network" should be enough. Limited or no connectivity generally only happens on initial connection.

Signal strength is not very important, because it not always change, and we can look that in system tray.

You can't unless you're connected to the network. If you want to know which network has the strongest signal when determining which network to use (e.g. at a public place), you need the signal strength info. You can, however, check the connected state from the system tray or the wireless connection status dialog.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 02:57
but on my computer sometimes, it change the status to limited or sometimes acquiring network.

How do i know that? I keep on pressing f5, to refresh the browser, but still can't get it. Also, when chatting with friends, (skype) it says that my friend is online, but sending messages give no feedback.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh (in reply to comment 11) on 2010-11-16 02:58
Replying to RamboUdin:

but on my computer sometimes, it change the status to limited or sometimes acquiring network.

Doesn't the system tray show this info? (You may need to set the option to always show the icon in the system tray.)

Btw, one other way to get this info is to use flat review. See the User Guide for details.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by RamboUdin on 2010-11-16 03:02
Are you sure this works?
the status indicator (e.g message from the help ballon, this network has no connectivity. you might not been able to access internet or other network resources..... etc etc etc). Sometimes, when NVA is speaking that, and other things come up, NVDA will stop speaking and read that things dialog rather than continuing with the help ballon. Also, i can't repeat the help ballon. It doesn't appear in system tray. Maybe this is another separate ticket? (about NVDA stops current speech after new application comes up)

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant