Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA sonic integration #1206

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 18, 2010 · 11 comments
Closed

NVDA sonic integration #1206

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 18, 2010 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2010-11-18 09:58
Scope of this ticket is integration of sonic library by Bill Cox (http://www.freelists.org/post/programmingblind/New-speech-speedup-library-available-under-GPL) into NVDA. User should be able to speed up every synth that supports autio generation and retrieval.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-11-18 10:55
For reference, the library is licensed under LGPL v2.1, which is definitely fine for us. (GPL (not LGPL) v3 may raise some issues for NVDA in some cases, since we're GPL v2.) Btw, Lex, this means it can be used with any other screen reader.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aleksey_s (in reply to comment 1) on 2010-11-18 11:00
Replying to jteh:
Btw, Lex, this means it can be used with any other screen reader.
Yeah, commit a999987c622e096f666571cd1408ebbc441e52a9 relicenses it under LGPL. Original announcement stated that library is under GPL.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by waywardgeek on 2011-01-09 20:09
I've created a web site that I hope explains integrating libsonic well enough, though Lex already knows how. I almost never boot into Windows, or I'd volunteer to help on integration, assuming it's wanted. The new sonic home page is at:

http://vinux-project.org/sonic

As for the change to LGPL, that was a tough call... There were a couple of legitimate projects out there that wanted to use it commercially, embedded in devices for the blind. Anything that furthers accessibility I'm for, and I didn't want the GPL license limiting adoption. BTW, I consider NVDA the single most important FOSS accessibility project, period. If I were in Windows land, I'd join up.

Bill

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by orcauser on 2011-07-10 09:56
Closing as invalid, since sonic has been integrated into espeak, and we enable our users to use it via the boost setting introduced in commit 4451.
Sorry if I got this wrong.
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2011-07-10 23:36
Not invalid, as Lex wanted to have this work for all synths. However, definitely low priority.
Changes:
Removed labels: invalid
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by ateu on 2013-04-13 13:05
It would be fine to use espeak sapi5 with high rat.
I like espeak sapi5 more than the compiled for NVDA, as it has a more low sound.
Also, there are good sapi5 voices which needs more speed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by ateu on 2014-03-31 13:47
Strangely, there is a difference between the drivers for espeak and Microsoft Speech Platform created by NVDA developers, and the drivers created by Bill for speech hub.
The drivers provided by Bill has a lower pitch, which become it more clearing, even when using Rate Boost.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Sonic is now a separate dependency, although only used for espeak.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Couldn't we in theory use it for everything?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @LeonarddeR comming back on this since there were actually many issues where users requested similar behaviors between synths like higher speed for narator etc. This is maybe also interesting to consider.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

The sonic library is integrated as dependency in NVDA as Leonard pointed above already. Thus this issue is fixed. I suggest to open new issues for specifically synths which would benefit from usage of Sonic. Closing.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants