Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA ignoring line breaks in PDF documents with left-to-right, top-to-bottom reading order #1216

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 21, 2010 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by parham on 2010-11-21 15:09
When accessibility options in Adobe Acrobat Reader are set to "Read order: left to right, top to bottom", NVDA ignores line breaks completely.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a PDF document in the latest version of Acrobat Reader.
  2. Look at the first page with the reading order set to "infer from document". You will see some line breaks.
  3. Now, set the reading order to "left to right, top to bottom". For this you should go to the document menu, accessibility options, and click next until you get to the reading order radio buttons. Change it to the item I said above, and click next until you get to the done button.
  4. Go to the next page and return back to the first page. The page is now all in continuous lines.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by parham on 2012-03-13 13:51
Is there a way to fix this issue? It is still outstanding.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by camlorn on 2013-05-19 16:04
This also occurs with tables, as I just now found out. Half of muy PDF related problems just went away when I changed this setting. The problem is more general than line breaks, though I'm not sure how far it goes yet.
It's too large to attach here, but this can be seen in the appendices of the Open AL effects extension guide, available with the Open AL sdk, or just about any other nontrivial PDF. If I happen to find a smallish one that shows the problem, I'll revisit and attach.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@camlorn: Can you still reproduce this?

CC @jcsteh

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

I think Acrobat completely ignores any tagging when you switch to any reading order other than "infer from document". Thus, the idea of block elements (which NVDA relies on to break lines) aren't present. This should be fixed by the fix for #7275.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the blocked label Jul 19, 2017
@ahicks92
Copy link
Contributor

I have no idea. I'll try if it's needed.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am testing with NVDA 2019.1.1 and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 19.010.20099. I cannot reproduce this issue. I don't notice any difference between those two read orders. @camlorn, @parham can you confirm? Or are you still having this problem?

@ahicks92
Copy link
Contributor

ahicks92 commented May 1, 2019

I don't even remember having this issue in the first place at this point, and haven't touched pdfs in a very long time, so: no, but not necessarily because it's gone.

@Neurrone
Copy link

Neurrone commented May 2, 2019

Duplicate of #7275.

This is definitely still happening, and I was able to reproduce it with source code of a pdf ebook.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing as duplicate. thanks for the comment.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants