Opened 3 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#1227 assigned defect

Svox Pico synthesiser doesn't load (Affects some other third party synth drivers also)

Reported by: hurrikenny Owned by: aleksey_s
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Speech synth drivers Version: master
Keywords: Cc:
Operating system: Blocked by:
Blocking:
Changes document entry (for developers):

Description

In the latest snapshot (3962), when I go into preferences...synthesiser... and attempt to change it from e-speak to svox pico, and then tab to ok, it gives me the following error message "could not load the pico synthesiser". It also gives me the "crash" sound.

Attachments (1)

nvda.log (24.2 KB) - added by hurrikenny 3 years ago.
Error message for svox pico when trying to change to this synthesiser

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (5)

Changed 3 years ago by hurrikenny

Error message for svox pico when trying to change to this synthesiser

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by jteh

• Owner set to aleksey_s
  • Status changed from new to assigned

The synth driver API has changed, breaking backwards compatibility. This driver needs to be updated accordingly.

Technically, this isn't an NVDA issue, since this isn't an officially supported driver, but I'll leave it open as there are probably quite a few users using this.

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by RamboUdin

You better fix this, coz my synth doesn't work now!

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by briang1

• Operating system Windows XP deleted
  • Summary changed from Svox Pico synthesiser doesn't load to Svox Pico synthesiser doesn't load (Affects some other third party synth drivers also)

I think this new code has broken other third party non official drivers as well. I am given to understand that while there are stil API changes in the pipeline, it may well not be possible to repair the drivers until a stable version is released of the code involved.

James has told me the above on thedev list.
Suggestion.

Have an older snap or stable release set up as a portable on the machine for use when the other synths are required until the matter is resolved.
Lex, is this what you intend to do on Pico?

comment:5 Changed 3 years ago by pvagner

• Component changed from Core to Synth drivers

Due to the popular demand I've tried to update Festival and Svox Pico synthDrivers to run with current development version of NVDA.

https://flattr.com/thing/116340/Updated-Festival-synthDriver-for-NVDA-2011-1dev
https://flattr.com/thing/116361/Updated-Svox-Pico-synthDriver-for-NVDA-2011-1dev

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.