Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Selection + Speak Typed Words issue #1259

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 6, 2010 · 9 comments
Closed

Selection + Speak Typed Words issue #1259

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 6, 2010 · 9 comments
Labels
bug close/worksforme component/speech p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by txt on 2010-12-06 05:06
When Speak typed words under Keyboard Settings is enabled, and you have some amount of text selected, and you type some text, the first character you type is cut off.

One such test case I did involved the following key presses on windows XP:
Ok[speech output is something like:
Ok
selecting Ok
selection removed
k

It seems to happen the same way no matter what word you replace "Ok" with.

It also seems to sometimes happen even if you press delete or backspace before typing the new word, eg:
Ok[space](space][shift+ctrl+left]Ok[space]

The)[through debugging logs and the source code, I think the reason this happens is that the program seems to register the first character of the new word typed (eg the 'O' in the second "Ok" in the above examples) before it says "selection removed," and apparently the function speakText() (which is used by speakMessage() which is in turn given the message "selection removed") clears out the current word (using curWordChars=[](shift+ctrl+left][Backspace]Ok[space]

Looking)).

I'm not sure why it still does this even when you press backspace (or delete) before typing the second word, though. I can only guess that that's a separate error with updating selections.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment logtranscript.txt added by txt on 2010-12-06 05:18
Description:
The log viewer output for the given example, when doing it in notepad

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-12-06 05:43
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2011-04-05 04:23
The issue is simply that the "selection removed" message is spoken by speech.speakText, which clears the curWordChars list.
We need to come up with a better way of clearing the curWordChars list... not in speech.speakText.
Better still if we could actually get the word from the app itself rather than building it ourselves that would be good. But this has also proven quite tricky in the past.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the near-term milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the near-term milestone Jun 24, 2016
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 5, 2016
@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 2, 2017

Can still reproduce. Short and clear STR:

1. Open Notepad
  2. Type ok
  3. Press ctrl+shift+leftArrow
  4. Type ok again
  5. Press space

Expected: you hear "ok".
Actual: you hear "k".

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Might be related to #8559

@fisher729
Copy link

@Adriani90 no, not related to #8559 at all. I can still reproduce this issue, by the way, even as I type this.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I cannot reproduce this in NVDA Version: alpha-20045,a335297e with Notepad or in any browser. In MS Word it does work correctly as well, although there NVDA does not report when the selected becomes unselected. But this is another issue.
@fisher729 can you still reproduce this with last NVDA alpha?

@fisher729
Copy link

Hi.

This issue seems to have been resolved in the latest stable and alpha releases. As a side note, I should hunt down and comment on an issue where NVDA is announcing previously typed text when speaking typed words.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Thanks for reporting. Closing as works for me.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug close/worksforme component/speech p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants