Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Problem with automatic reading of header cells in HTML tables when more than one table on the page #1277

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 13, 2010 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by andrewd on 2010-12-13 04:22
There is a problem if there are two tables on an HTML page with heading cells marked up with . NVDA will read the heading information from the first table, as well as the heading information from the current table, when the second is being navigated. The attached sample demonstrates the issue. While the tables follow each other in this example, I have tested with a large amount of material between them, with the same result.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment tables_sample.htm added by andrewd on 2010-12-13 04:24
Description:
An HTML file with two data tables

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-12-19 23:35
What browser were you using? I can't seem to reproduce this with Firefox.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by andrewd (in reply to comment 2) on 2010-12-20 00:06
I am using Firefox 3.6. I am also using the portable version of NVDA. In the sample file I attached, you need to be down to row 3 of the second table - the one starting with Flathead - to encounter the issue.
Replying to jteh:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Bernd on 2013-04-30 14:03
the issue still exists with latest firefox. On the second table nvda anounces two thable headers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2013-04-30 22:35
This document is broken. There are duplicate ids; e.g. both Pets and Fish have an id of c-1. Ids must be unique within the document.
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by bdorer on 2014-01-29 20:49
I'd like to reopen this Ticket.
Please see the following example:
STR:

1. Go to http://community.nvda-project.org/query?milestone=next&group=status&col=id&col=summary
  2. Press h till new heading
    NVDA speaks row 23 Ticket Status: incubating (17 matches) Ticket column 1, Status: new (5 matches)', heading level 2
  3. Press downArrow 2 times
    NVDA speaks

NVDA speaks Status: new (5 matches) Summary Status: incubating (17 matches) Summary column 2, Link, Summary

Log Fragment:
IO - speech.speak (21:38:04):
Speaking 23 Ticket\nStatus: incubating (17 matches)\nTicket column 1', u'Status: new (5 matches)', u'heading level 2'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (21:38:05):
Input: kb(laptop):downArrow
IO - speech.speak (21:38:05):
Speaking 24', u'Link', u'Ticket'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (21:38:06):
Input: kb(laptop):downArrow
IO - speech.speak (21:38:06):
Speaking new (5 matches)\nSummary\nStatus: incubating (17 matches)\nSummary column 2', u'Link', u'Summary'

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2014-01-29 22:04
These aren't separate tables. They're the same table, so there's no accurate way to determine which headings should be read unless the page explicitly specifies them. In other words, this would best be fixed in Trac, not NVDA/browsers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by bdorer on 2014-01-29 22:19
Would it be possible to ignore older column headings if you navigate to a new one?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2014-01-29 23:34
That would kill a lot of more complex data tables where there are multiple levels of headers that do need to be read.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant