Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Skype 5.0 crashes if started while the latest NVDA snapshot is running #1281

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 18, 2010 · 12 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2010-12-18 15:02
Skype 5.0 (v5.0.0.156) crashes if started while the latest snapshot of NVDA is running at the moment. Tested with NVDA snapshot r3992, but I think it started happening from somewhere near snapshot r3960.
Steps to reproduce it:

1. Run NVDA snapshot r3992.
  2. Run Skype 5.0 (tested with v5.0.0.152 and v5.0.0.156) and close it to the system tray (although after some more testing, the closing to the system tray appears not to be necessary).
  3. Shortly afterward Skype eventually crashes with no apparent reason and with the standard Windows error message. But if Skype is in the system tray at the moment of the crash, an error message will probably not appear.
    If you do the steps above but you use NVDA v2010.2, such Skype crash will not happen. Also, if you firstly run Skype itself and then NVDA (snapshot), such crash will probably not occur as well. I also noticed that the crash doesn't occur always, but most of the times it does.
    I can provide you with the detailed information from the Windows error reports, but due to the localization of my Windows OS in bulgarian, most parts of those reports will also be in bulgarian. I can try to translate them for you, if necessary, though.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-12-20 00:38
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2011.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2010-12-22 01:41
I am having trouble reproducing this. Can you please provide details of the Operating System. its Windows 7? what service packs? is it 64 or 32 bit?
Do you have aero (Desktop compositing) enabled?
Are there any particular Skype settings I need to know about?
Are you saying that it crashes when you go to close on the Skype menu within skype (as it minimizes to the System tray)? or am I not understanding properly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by k_kolev1985 on 2010-12-22 09:59
Well, my Windows 7 is 32-bit, with no service packs.
AERO is not enabled on my desktop, because I'm using a modified high-contrast Windows theme, based on one of the Windows high-contrast themes (witch can be found in the "Personalization" window in the Control Panel). Those themes use the "Windows Classic" style of Windows, and therefore do not support AERO.
I'm using Skype 5 in its so called "Compact mode", witch can be enabled from the "View" menu. Also, my Skype accessibility settings are also enabled: "Extended keyboard navigation" and "Screen reader mode" found under "Tools -> Accessibility".
The crash occurs a couple of seconds after the Skype window appears on the screen, no matter if the focus is on it or not. The crash occurs also if Skype is used with the "/minimized" parameter on startup, witch makes it go directly to the system tray. But even if the window doesn't appear on the screen, a couple of seconds after the Skype tray icon appears in the system tray and Skype plays its logon sound, the crash occurs (sometimes Skype even can't play its logon sound completely before the crash occurs).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2011-01-31 23:24
Does this bug still exist in Skype 5.1? I can't seem to make it happen.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by k_kolev1985 on 2011-02-01 09:35
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 on 2011-02-01 09:36
Hello,

Yes, such a thing still happens on my site, even though not as often as it used to. Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen always, and it is hard to reproduce. Sometimes, Skype doesn't crash, but instead NVDA freezes and doesn't respond until I kill the "Skype.exe" process. I don't know for sure witch of the following conditions is more faulty for the crashes and freezes:

1. The fact that I'm running Skype with the /nosplash and /minimized parameters, witch makes Skype start without the splash screen and directly minimized to the system tray (the 2nd one of course works only if you've set Skype to login automatically without asking you for your username and password), or you've entered them as parameters). But this is less likely to be the reason.
  2. The fact that I'm running Skype together with "SkypeTalking (http://code.google.com/p/skypetalking). If I do that NVDA tells me that some sort of window appears on the screen witch window is invisible. NVDA names this window "Skype4py" or something similar. Maybe the interaction between NVDA and this "Skype4py" window causes those problems - I don't know.
    I'm attaching a "NVDA.log" file witch could contain some useful information, since it was created during a freeze of NVDA while Skype and SkypeTalking were starting. The logging level of NVDA was intentionally set to "Debug" by me at that time.

P.S.: I forgot to say that I'm using Skype 5.1.0.112, NVDA snapshot r4056 (and SkypeTalking 0.9 beta 3 if that matters).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 on 2011-02-14 21:33
Hello again,

Some more on this issue from me:
For my convenience, I run Skype with the following parameters:
/nosplash /minimized /username:test /password:12345
They do as follows:

1. /nosplash - runs Skype without showing the splash screen at startup.
  2. /minimized - minimizes Skype in the system tray (or in the taskbar if configured to do so) after startup.
  3. /username:test - enters a specified Skype user name for loging into Skype when starting it (the "test" here is only an example).
  4. /password:12345 - enters a specified password for the user name above (again, this "12345" here is only an example).
    When I run Skype with those parameters, it will most likely crash (or sometimes - freeze). But when I removed the /minimized parameter, Skype stopped crashing (at least it didn't since I've removed that parameter anyway). So, my guess is that even though Skype tries to run with no splash screen and directly minimizing to the system tray (in my case), some sort of invisible windows may be appearing and when NVDA tries to interact with those invisible Skype windows, Skype crashes (or in some cases - freezes).
    Note that by "freezing" i mean that Skype remains resident in the memory and its icon is present in the system tray, but no interaction can be done with it and I have to kill it.

Hope this helps at least somewhat.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2011-02-21 23:17
This is rare and we don't know where to start regarding a work around. Deferring.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.1 to 2011.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2011-05-18 04:53
Does anyone still encounter this issue? We can't reproduce with the latest version of Skype.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.2 to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by k_kolev1985 on 2011-05-18 08:00
I just tested it and the problem seams to be gone. I'll keep testing for day or two and if it doesn't reappear, I think that we may close the ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by k_kolev1985 on 2011-05-25 20:43
Alright, after testing it for a couple of days, I can definitely confirm that the problem does not occur any more (at least not on my system). So, if nobody else is experiencing this issue, I think that the ticket can be closed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2011-05-25 21:45
Closing as per comment:10.
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant