Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA CRASHING OUTLOOK WHILE USING CONTACTS #1315

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 11, 2011 · 10 comments
Closed

NVDA CRASHING OUTLOOK WHILE USING CONTACTS #1315

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 11, 2011 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dharvey on 2011-01-11 08:54
Hi,

I've conducted a test on my machine using Win XP Pro and Outlook 2007 while using contacts, speech stops and Outlook exits.

STR:

1. Start Outlook 2007.
  2. Go to Contacts with CTRL+3.
  3. Create a new contact then save.
  4. Find the contact you just created and open it.
  5. Try moving around to edit the contact. If you get no speech, just hit Escape and Outlook should come back to where it left off.

Problem doesn't occur while using Narator or JAWS.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2011-01-11 08:57
Replying to dharvey:

speech stops and Outlook exits.

1. Try moving around to edit the contact. If you get no speech, just hit Escape and Outlook should come back to where it left off.

This last step seems to indicate that speech stops, but pressing escape returns Outlook to normal operation. So when does Outlook exit? How can this be reproduced?
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dharvey (in reply to comment 1) on 2011-01-11 09:08
Replying to jteh:

Replying to dharvey:

speech stops and Outlook exits.

1. Try moving around to edit the contact. If you get no speech, just hit Escape and Outlook should come back to where it left off.

This last step seems to indicate that speech stops, but pressing escape returns Outlook to normal operation. So when does Outlook exit? How can this be reproduced?

What I should have said was if you get no speech, it means that Outlook has frozen. When you press Escape Outlook exits, then returns to normal operation with speech. Some times an Outlook diagnostics dialog box comes up asking if you want to diagnose the problem, I just dismissed it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-07-25 13:52
Hi,
I cannot reproduce this with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 8.1 with latest development builds.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Since @josephsl seems unable to replicate this issue on more recent builds of software, we shall need to retest this issue. Can Outlook 2007 users please aid us in this diagnosis?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Sep 20, 2017

@Qchristensen, I do recall you said you have a copy of Office 2007 available. Could you please test the reported issue?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I also can't reproduce this using NVDA 2017.3 on Windows 7 SP1 and Outlook 2007. Quite likely whatever the issue was has been rectified as part of other work since the original issue was filed. I'm going to close as worksforme, but if anyone can reproduce this, feel free to reopen.

@stickbear2015
Copy link

I can reproduce this interesting crash with outlook 2016 and windows 10.
I'm reopening this issue because when I get home I can perform more testing, and determine if it's NVDA specific or not.
If it turns out to be I won't need to file another issue on it.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

@stickbear2015 Interesting, do you mean you can get to step 5 in the original issue in Outlook 2016? Mine stops responding when I press CONTROL+3 because of #7556

I hadn't tested in Outlook 2016 originally, but doing it now and substituing:
a) Press control+tab to get to the navigation bar
b) Arrow to "people"
c) Press enter

in place of the original step 2 (press control+3 to go to people / contacts directly), and I can create a contact, then edit without hitting a crash.

@stickbear2015
Copy link

This issue seems to be specific to NVDA and outlook. to reproduce.

1. open outlook.
  2. enter any imap e-mail account's inbox with ctrl+y..
  3. outlook may or may not crash at this point. Most likely will.
  4. Attempt to switch to anything else, another folder with ctrl+y, contacts, calendar, etc.
    what should happen.
    Outlook should switch without a problem.
    what actually happens.
    Outlook freezes initially than completely crashes, may restart, or completely crash and not self-recover.
    Testing performed.
    Outlook 2016, NVDA 2017.3 and NVDA next snapshot, outlook and JAWS or windows 17 and 2018 Beta.
    Other comments
    This crash only happens with NVDA loaded.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Note, @stickbear2015's updated description is a duplicate of #7556, so I'll leave it closed and mark it as a duplicate.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants