Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should turn on "focus mode" for toolbars #1339

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 27, 2011 · 13 comments
Closed

NVDA should turn on "focus mode" for toolbars #1339

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 27, 2011 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vtsaran on 2011-01-27 19:28
It seems that currently NVDA does not turn "Focus mode" for ARIA toolbars. It does for ARIA tabs, for example.
See http://us.mg0.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch
Tab to the set of tabs which are followed by the toolbar. Notice that NVDA turns on the "Focus mode" for the tabs, but turns it off for the toolbar that follows.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by vtsaran on 2011-01-27 19:52
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA should turn on "focus mode" for ARIA toolbars" to "NVDA should turn on "focus mode" for various ARIA widgets"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by vtsaran on 2011-01-27 19:54
I changed the summary because I noticed that ARIA grids do not trigger "Focus mode" as well. If it is intentional, it's OK, but we need to be sure of it because, otherwise, we will have to force "application mode" on those widgets.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-01-27 23:30
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2011-01-28 13:46
The behaviour tends to be different in the two browsers as well of course so care needs to be taken to make them do the same things. Nobody seems to have mentioned that I think this was referring to Firefox, as IE tends to ignore them even more than FF does!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by vtsaran on 2011-04-04 22:01
Well, the kind of the browser shouldn't matter. As long as NVDA is aware that this is an ARIA widget, the behavior should be the same across all browsers.
Is anyone watching this bug? :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by vtsaran on 2011-10-08 06:55
Is this bug not fixed due to some technical limitations or simply lack of priority?
Here is an example page that uses YUI carousel composed of an ARIA toolbar and an ARIA list. NVDA turns on "focus mode" for the list but not for the toolbar. Why? Just wondering...
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/carousel/carousel-ariaplugin_source.html

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by kevinchao89 on 2011-10-08 20:28
Windows 7 x64, Firefox 10.0a1 (2011-10-08), NVDA snapshot main-4715

Confirm comment:7, but not original ticket (using
example: http://us.mg0.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch
I logged in, TABBED all and SHIFT+TAB all over the page, and did not find any ARIA toolbar or tab)

However, 100% repro with:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/carousel/carousel-ariaplugin_source.html
NVDA auto-focuses tool bar
CTRL+HOME to go to top of page, NVDA speaks "out of toolbar" and "heading level 1, Expert Health Advice"
TAB

Expected: ARIA toolbar to be spoken/identified, NVDA to switch to focus mode, and ability to arrow among toolbar items. In addition, NVDA should speak: go to page 1 (current page), button.
Actual: clickable, go to page 1, (current page) (current page), button
Notes: I'm not sure where the clickable and double speaking of (current page) issue comes into play, but I suspect is a web authoring issue. Toolbar is not spoken/identified and NVDA does not switch to focus mode for toolbar.

TAB
Expected: NVDA to navigate to ARIA list, switch to focus mode, and read first list item.
Actual: Expert Health Advice

SHIFT+TAB
Expected: ARIA toolbar to be spoken/identified, focus mode to remain, and first item is focused/read.
Actual: ARIA tool bar is spoekn/identified, NVDA switches to browse mode, and first item is spoken/read.
Notes:It's very odd that the way NVDA handles ARIA toolbar seems to be inconsistent in both focus/browse mode and identifying/speaking that it's a toolbar.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by vtsaran (in reply to comment 8) on 2011-10-08 20:55
Replying to kevinchao89:

Windows 7 x64, Firefox 10.0a1 (2011-10-08), NVDA snapshot main-4715

Confirm comment:7, but not original ticket (using

example: http://us.mg0.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch

I logged in, TABBED all and SHIFT+TAB all over the page, and did not find any ARIA toolbar or tab)

There are ARIA toolbars and tab panels once you switch to the Inbox. However, the original URL should not be used because the role of APPLICATION is applied through the Yahoo! Mail interface. Therefore, the original URL will not allow reproducing this bug.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2011-10-08 23:05
Not OS specific.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2011-10-10 00:03
Narrowing the scope of this ticket to toolbars, as they need to be handled specially (see below). Please file a new ticket for grids including test cases and steps to repro.

The problem here is that NVDA uses just the focused object to determine whether it should switch to focus mode. In principle, this makes perfect sense. However, in the case of toolbars, the focused object could be, for example, a button. The rule is that we use browse mode for buttons (because they don't need keyboard interaction other than activation). Unfortunately, this is wrong in the case of toolbars, where the toolbar controls the keyboard navigation. This isn't a problem for tab controls because the only objects inside tab controls are tabs, so the rule is that we switch to focus mode for tabs. This does make this rather tricky to fix.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA should turn on "focus mode" for various ARIA widgets" to "NVDA should turn on "focus mode" for toolbars"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh (in reply to comment 8) on 2011-10-10 00:04
Replying to kevinchao89:

TAB

Expected: NVDA to navigate to ARIA list, switch to focus mode, and read first list item.

I can't reproduce this particular step. For me, NVDA correctly navigates to the list and announces the first list item.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by kevinchao89 (in reply to comment 12) on 2011-10-10 03:12
Replying to jteh:

Replying to kevinchao89:

TAB

I can't reproduce this particular step. For me, NVDA correctly navigates to the list and announces the first list item.

Confirmed. Please disregard that part of the report.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2012-01-06 02:44
Fixed in bbdaf64.
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2012.1
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant