Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not return to the document in the EPUB Reader add-on for Firefox #1341

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 1, 2011 · 11 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by parham on 2011-02-01 16:54
When opening an EPUB file with Firefox after having installed the EPUB Reader add-on for Firefox and alt+tab-ing away and back (I.E. holding down alt, pressing tab, releasing alt, and doing the same thing to switch back to the Firefox window), NVDA doesn't take you to the document you were reading and you have to press tab and then shift+tab to get to the document. If you switch windows again (using the same method mentioned above), even tab and then shift+tab won't work, and you have to refresh the document. This shouldn't happen, however; you should be put back in the document where you left off, before you pressed alt+tab and changed the focussed window.

Steps to reproduce:

Install the EPUB Reader add-on.
Download an EPUB file. There are plenty of these files in the Internet, just use Google to find one.
Open the EPUB file with Firefox, alt+tab away, and then alt+tab back. Press down/up arrow and you'll see that the document is not in focus. Now press tab and then shift+tab and the document will regain focus. Doing the alt+tab-ing away and back once more, you will see that even pressing tab and then shift+tab doesn't work, and you have to refresh the document by pressing F5.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-02-01 21:08
We need to investigate this, but it's unlikely to be an NVDA bug. My guess would be that the addon simply doesn't focus the document when you return to Firefox. If that is the case, there's nothing we can do. Also, are you using Firefox 3.6 or 4pre?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by parham on 2011-02-02 08:31
The results of my own investigations on Firefox 3.6.13 (which I am using) are strange. When this thing happens (tab and then shift+tab doesn't work anymore), NVDA doesn't recognize any focus changes in and out of the menu bar. You could go to the menu bar and exit using the alt key, but NVDA would still report that you're on File menu. When you press tab and then shift+tab back, NVDA reports, using NVDA+tab, that you are on "link linked", whatever that'd mean. The navigator object is also focussed on this "link linked" element, which has no children or siblings. Moving up one level, the navigator object moves to the toolbar which includes the previous chapter button that I talked about earlier.

If this is an issue with the add-on itself, I would open a ticket and report this bug. However, I first needed to make sure this wasn't a problem with NVDA, since a friend of mine who uses Jaws For Windows reported that it works with JFW. I unfortunately can't test, since I don't have that program installed anymore.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-02-08 22:30
As I suspected, there is definitely a problem with this add-on.

• When switching away and back to Firefox, it doesn't fire a focus event on the document.
  • If you tab and shift+tab, it does fire a focus event on the document.
  • However, if you tab and shift+tab again, a focus event isn't fired on the document.
  • From this point, a focus event is never fired on the document again until you refresh it.
    I verified this with !AccProbe's event monitor, so it's definitely not just an NVDA issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mohammed on 2011-11-08 20:15
hi. @parham , have you had a chance to file a bug agains this add on? interested in using it but I am still having issues with ff8.0 and Epub reader.

if you have already filed a bug could you post a link to it so that I can follow up?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2011-11-08 21:43
Can you please try this with Firefox 10pre (nightly)? There have been a lot of focus fixes recently that may resolve this issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mohammed on 2011-11-08 22:42
yes, I already tried that yesterday, but I just couldn't get the addon to install. it's incompatible with 10pre.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2011-11-08 23:06
I just tested this myself. It's fixed in Firefox 10. I'm leaving this open for now because ePub Reader isn't officially compatible with Firefox 10 yet.

If you want to install ePub Reader in Firefox 10, you can set the pref extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly to false in about:config. Be aware that this could cause some addons to break. In my brief testing, ePub Reader seems to be okay.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by kevinchao89 on 2011-11-09 00:26
EPUB reader document is able to gain focus just fine in Firefox 10pre(Nightly). I'm testing an EPUB3 eTextbook and tried to ALT+TAB (switch apps), CTRL+TAB (switch tabs), and ALT (menubar). In all instances, NVDA Main-4789 is able to return to the document, confirmed with NVDA+TAB and ARROWING in document.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by parham on 2011-11-09 06:35
I have not had a problem with this since Firefox 6.0. If anyone else would do me the favour of rechecking this, we could close this ticket (i would have closed it, but I had forgotten the fact that I had opened one!)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mohammed on 2011-11-09 09:14
thank you very much Jamie for taking the time to test this yourself. yes, it's working properly in nightly, however, some .epub books may have issues. one particular book I am reading now just won't focus the content area, it focuses the contents fine though.

by the way, in nightly x64 the pref to change in order to install incompatible addons is called extensions.strictCompatibility. not sure why it's different from x64 to x86

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by parham on 2012-03-13 13:50
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant