Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA doesn't announce typed characters in putty #1348

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 2, 2011 · 17 comments · Fixed by #10118
Closed

NVDA doesn't announce typed characters in putty #1348

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 2, 2011 · 17 comments · Fixed by #10118
Labels
bug p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2011-02-02 17:17
It neither reads typed characters nor announces a deleted character when pressing backspace in putty's terminal window.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-02-02 20:56
Typed characters is an issue with PuTTY. It doesn't seem to fire WM_CHAR messages, probably because it doesn't call !TranslateMessage. I don't want to change our entire typed character mechanism just because of PuTTY and I don't really have any better ideas on how to handle this. Ideas are welcome.

Backspace is probably just because the server took too long to move the caret. On a faster link, this should be faster.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mohammed on 2014-05-02 09:04
Hi.

are there similar applications out there that do not have such a problem? what do blind server admins generally use?

btw, there must be a mechanism to make this work, because other screen readers echo typed characters fine. granted, you can't review text in such windows.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by msedmak (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-10-23 19:18
I have used terraterm (free) and have heard several others who use cygwin ssh (free) or SecureCRT (paid).
Replying to mohammed:

Hi.

are there similar applications out there that do not have such a problem? what do blind server admins generally use?

btw, there must be a mechanism to make this work, because other screen readers echo typed characters fine. granted, you can't review text in such windows.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Comfirmed. Since this is quite an old issue, giving this P4. @jcsteh: Feel free to set another priority, since you are the initial author of this.

@LeonarddeR LeonarddeR added the p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 18, 2017
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I noticed that this is also a problem in power shell. Given Power Shell is getting more and more a replacement for cmd, I wonder whether this priority should be raised. @michaeldcurran/@feerrenrut: thoughts about this?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@LeonarddeR Possibly, though I don't think I would make it a P2.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Are you ok with a p3?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Yep, I'll apply that change now.

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority and removed p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority labels Apr 9, 2018
@dpy013
Copy link
Contributor

dpy013 commented Jan 29, 2019

NVDA doesn't announce typed characters in putty Is this problem solved?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@aleksey_s, @mohammed, could you please test if this is still an issue? Thanks!

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jan 29, 2019 via email

@JulienCochuyt
Copy link
Collaborator

MinTTY, a close relative console, also suffers from this issue: Typed characters are not echoed.
The mintty app module derives from the putty app module.
MinTTY is the default console of the Git Bash environment as shipped with Git for Windows.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Is this solved also for older Versions of Windows where UIA is not used?

@JulienCochuyt
Copy link
Collaborator

I don't know, but IMHO, this is not fully solved either for newer versions of Windows.
Demo: Open a new Git Bash Mintty terminal, run any command that produces output such as ls, wait for the output announcement to end or hit control to mute it, and then hit the backspace key a few times quickly.
Result: NVDA speaks text placed before the command prompt, depending on how many times backspace was pressed.
Expected: NVDA should not announce anything, as no character was deleted.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Ok Julien thank you for this report. I am reopening this issue and the discussion.
cc: @codeofdusk

@Adriani90 Adriani90 reopened this Aug 12, 2019
codeofdusk added a commit to codeofdusk/nvda that referenced this issue Aug 13, 2019
@codeofdusk
Copy link
Contributor

Yes, this is solved from Windows 10 1607 onwards (UIA used on 1803 and later).

@codeofdusk
Copy link
Contributor

I don't know, but IMHO, this is not fully solved either for newer versions of Windows.
Demo: Open a new Git Bash Mintty terminal, run any command that produces output such as ls, wait for the output announcement to end or hit control to mute it, and then hit the backspace key a few times quickly.
Result: NVDA speaks text placed before the command prompt, depending on how many times backspace was pressed.
Expected: NVDA should not announce anything, as no character was deleted.

I think I know what's up (related to #9933). I've put a potential fix on the t1348 branch of my repo (@feerrenrut could you please create and link a try build here?)

codeofdusk added a commit to codeofdusk/nvda that referenced this issue Aug 19, 2019
feerrenrut pushed a commit that referenced this issue Aug 22, 2019
In Mintty, the last character of the prompt was being read when quickly deleting text, just as in Windows Console (see this comment and the "summary of the issue" section in #9986).

This change disables caret events for all Terminal objects by overriding NVDAObjects.behaviors.Terminal._get_caretMovementDetectionUsesEvents, instead of only Windows Console like in #9986.

Closes #1348.
Related to #9933, #9986.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

7 participants