Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Provide speech and braille feedback for common Microsoft Word shortcut keys #1353

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 3, 2011 · 45 comments
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by wildcat11 on 2011-02-03 22:14
For example when pressing control plus e nvda doesn't say centered it is silent.
Blocking #2573, #3846, #3862

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-02-18 08:16
hi,
I am Rameshwar Nagar. I am working on this #1353. I made some changes it's now working little bit. check atteched winword.py file. put this in your appModule folder and check it out. Now it's work.

This is under process...for more correction.

Thanks,

Rameshwar Nagar
Intern
CIS
+91 7204530710

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment winword.py added by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-02-20 10:14
Description:
any suggestion plz..tell here..

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment winword.2.py added by mjrevansiddesh on 2013-02-26 06:38
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mjrevansiddesh on 2013-02-26 06:40
replace the second attachment of the winword.py file and then try it.

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mjrevansiddesh on 2013-02-26 06:52
this file has to be placed in nvda\source\NVDAobjects\window.

Changes:
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by praveen on 2013-02-26 10:04
Hi All,

I am working on this ticket, short cut keys are working.so  we need to implement the toggle functionality (like bold on\off). Is this functionality is required? if it so please suggest me for improvement.

Thanks & Regards
Praveen

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-03-13 13:28
Hi,
I have atteched a patch file. Check it.

Regards & Thanks,
Rameshwar Nagar
The Center for Internet & Society
Changes:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-03-13 13:30
Changes:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment winword.2.patch added by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-03-14 05:42
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment winword.patch added by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-03-14 05:43
Description:
chnages in speech.py and added a new file in appmodule winword.py

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Amarjit on 2013-03-24 17:24

Above patch implements feature to do announcement of Ctrl+. Details are as follows:

• It is now working for Ctrl+
    • 1.a It works for Ctrl+L/R/J/E //Left/Right/Justified/Centered// keys
    • 1.b It works for Ctrl+l/r/j/e //Left/Right/Justified/Centered// keys
    • 2.a It is working for Ctrl+B/I/U //Bold/Italic/Underline// keys
    • 2.b It is working for Ctrl+b/i/u //Bold/Italic/Underline// keys
    • 3.a It announces //Bold On// or //Bold Off// on press of Ctrl+B
    • 3.b It also announces //Italic On// or //Italic Off// on press of Ctrl+I
    • 3.c It also announces //Underline On// or //Underline Off// on press of Ctrl+U
      1. Announces //New Line// on press of Enter Key

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by Amarjit on 2013-03-24 17:24
Changes:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by Amarjit on 2013-03-24 17:43
While testing we found a new bug which is tracked in Ticket #3105

Ticket #3105: Key press of Ctrl+B/I/U //Bold/Italic/Underline// in combination to Backspace and Delete, sometimes it announces Ctrl+ On or Ctrl+ Off wrongly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2013-03-24 23:21
Thanks for your attempt. However, this is not an acceptable solution.

To implement this correctly, you need to find a way to query the state of these toggles in Word, whether by querying the toolbar buttons or something in the document object model. What you've done reflects the formatting of the current review position, which isn't necessarily the same. There is no need to modify anything in the speech module to do this, nor is there any need to duplicate functions from speech in your Word app module. Finally, this doesn't account for the fact that these shortcut keys can apparently be different in different localisations of Word.

Btw, please don't close a ticket as fixed until a fix has been committed.
Changes:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-06-10 03:53
In [0d92ed1]:

Merge branch 't1353' into next. Incubates #1353

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by surfer0627 on 2014-06-10 05:50
Changes:
Changed title from "When Pressing the following shortcut keys control plus b, control plus u , and control plus i, and control plus e in microsoft word, Nvda doesn't tell you if you are going to center a line or bold on or under line on or italics on or centered when pressing control plus e." to "Provide speech and braille feedback for common Microsoft Word shortcut"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by surfer0627 on 2014-06-10 05:55
Changes:
Changed title from "Provide speech and braille feedback for common Microsoft Word shortcut" to "Provide speech and braille feedback for common Microsoft Word shortcut keys"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 19 by nvdakor on 2014-06-10 09:30
Hi Mick,
I think you meant increaseDecrease instead of increaseDescrease... And shouldn't winword.py be a window instead of an app module? Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 20 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-06-10 10:25
In [6264649]:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 21 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 19) on 2014-06-10 10:28
Replying to nvdakor:
I've now fixed the typo, thanks for spotting. Though as it was typoed everywhere it was not causing any bad behaviour.
I'm not sure what you mean about appModule instead of a Window. This is source/NVDAObjects/window/winword.py, and theya re definitely NVDAObjects. Perhaps you noticed the incorrect comment at the top of the file which has been there for years? #appModules/winword.py.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 22 by nvdakor on 2014-06-10 10:33
Hi Mick,
Yes, I was referring to the comment at the top of the file.
b

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 23 by ateu on 2014-06-10 14:13
Hi all

Is it possible to add the select/unselect all command?
I think this is an important command, and the user can't know when the text is selected or unselected.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 24 by surveyor on 2014-06-11 08:28
I think when outline level set to normal with ctrl+shift+n, it should be anounced too

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 25 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-06-11 11:38
In [46e85b3]:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 26 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-06-14 03:55
In [23d57b7]:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 27 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-06-27 23:06
In [10147a4]:

Merge branch 't1353'. Fixes #1353

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 28 by mdcurran on 2014-06-27 23:07
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2014.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 29 by Sukil on 2014-06-30 20:23
The problem is that this relies on the shortcut pressed, rather than in the effect of the shortcut. In the Spanish version of word ctrl+b opens the find dialogue and ctrl+i the goto dialogue, for example, and the shortcuts for bold, italic and underline are ctrl+n ctrl+k and ctrl+s, respectively.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 30 by JamaicanUser on 2014-06-30 20:56
the line spacing, as well as heading change with shortcuts and font change with ctrl+>/< should be considered. Finally, this is here!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 31 by jteh (in reply to comment 29) on 2014-06-30 21:46
Replying to Sukil:

The problem is that this relies on the shortcut pressed, rather than in the effect of the shortcut. In the Spanish version of word ctrl+b opens the find dialogue and ctrl+i the goto dialogue, for example, and the shortcuts for bold, italic and underline are ctrl+n ctrl+k and ctrl+s, respectively.

We're aware of this. Unfortunately, there's no way to detect the effect of the shortcut without binding it to a key. Translators can provide locale specific gesture mappings; e.g. the Spanish translator could unbind control+b and bind reporting of bold to control+n.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 33 by surveyor on 2014-07-03 10:24
Some shortcut keys are also different in Turkish version of MS Office. I can try unbinding and binding related keys in local gestures file But,
what would be the case if the user has MS office in English and NVDA in Turkish interface? I'm, for instance, one of the users of that kind...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 34 by jteh on 2014-07-03 10:55
Unfortunately, that just isn't going to work right now. There might be a way to fix this in the future. However, you're going to hit other problems if you do this anyway (e.g. NVDA messages for Word will be in Turkish even though Word itself is in English), so I don't think it should block the initial implementation of this feature.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 35 by surveyor (in reply to comment 34) on 2014-07-04 10:43
Replying to jteh:

Unfortunately, that just isn't going to work right now. There might be a way to fix this in the future. However, you're going to hit other problems if you do this anyway (e.g. NVDA messages for Word will be in Turkish even though Word itself is in English), so I don't think it should block the initial implementation of this feature.

Yes, the same issue was already valid for other messages for example message heathers such as From, Subject, Date etc. Even if the user is using windows live mail or outlook in English, the heathers are being read in Turkish. Anyway, it's not a big issue.
Now, I'm playing with gestures.ini file to find the most suitable solution for this gestures question. For now, I've added the bindings used for toggleBold, toggleItalic and toggleUnderline scripts in Turkish version of Word. But I couldn't find a solution for toggleAlignment scripts. To be more explanatory, what should I do to add the
bindings control+k for justified and control+g for right alignment? I could only add one binding for toggleAlignment since all alignment scripts have the same name.

Besides, the binding control+r is used for right alignment in English version, while the same key press is used for centering text in Turkish version of Office.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 36 by surveyor (in reply to comment 35) on 2014-07-04 11:06
Replying to surveyor:
I think I've managed adding more than one key binding for toggleAlignment script with the line below:
toggleAlignment = kb:control+d, kb:control+g

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 37 by jteh (in reply to comment 36) on 2014-07-05 08:42
Replying to surveyor:

I think I've managed adding more than one key binding for toggleAlignment script with the line below:

toggleAlignment = kb:control+d, kb:control+g

Yes, that's correct.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 38 by ateu on 2014-07-13 15:05
Sorry for repeating this, but I wasn't answered. Is it possible to add the select/unselect command?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 39 by jteh (in reply to comment 23) on 2014-07-14 01:16
Replying to ateu:

Is it possible to add the select/unselect all command?

I think this is an important command, and the user can't know when the text is selected or unselected.

If you're talking about control+a (for English), it already announces that the text is selected.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 40 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-15 10:55
Hi.
NVDA only announces selected text.
But when user presses the arrow keys to unselect everything, NVDA does not say the unselected. text.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 41 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-15 11:03
Hi.
I use NVDA 2014.2 stable so may not know about developments in Master & New.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 42 by surveyor on 2014-07-16 11:34
Braille and speech feedback can also be provided for:
shift+F3, change case of selected text
alt+shift+up or down arrows, move the paragraph up or down.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 43 by jteh (in reply to comment 42) on 2014-07-17 00:37
Replying to surveyor:

Braille and speech feedback can also be provided for:

shift+F3, change case of selected text

alt+shift+up or down arrows, move the paragraph up or down.

There's not really any useful feedback we can provide for these. They don't have a state we can actually report; they just make a change to the text. All we'd be doing is reporting a static message like "paragraph moved" or "case changed", which is not particularly useful, as it doesn't really inform the user of the exact change.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 44 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-18 13:18
Hi.
On pressing Ctrl + S NVDA should say something likes 'Document Changes Saved' or something similar.
Has this also been implemented?
If it hasn't do you think it should be implemented?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 45 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-07-18 13:28
Hello,

I don't think it is a good idea, unless there is a way to check if the action was really performed or not. Because, the "save" command in MS Word doesn't always use the CTRL+S keystroke. For example, on my Windows 8.1 machine and Office 2013 (both in bulgarian), the keystroke to save is not CTRL+S, but Shift+F12, and I haven't changed - it was set that way by default.

BTW: For some actions in MS Office products, you can set MS Office to use sound feedback. Then you need to download an installer for the soundpack for MS Office, install it, set it (if necessary) in Control Panel -> Sound. Then will have sound feedback for some actions in MS Office, including for the save command. Interestingly enough, that was the way that I've discovered that CTRL+S was not performing the "save" command :).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 46 by ateu (in reply to comment 39) on 2014-11-13 12:42
Replying to jteh:

If you're talking about control+a (for English), it already announces that the text is selected.

Strangelly, in my language, Brazilian Portuguese, this information is not provided. Here, the shortcut to select/unselect all is control+t, and when It's pressed, NVDA says nothing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 47 by jteh (in reply to comment 46) on 2014-11-19 04:26
Replying to ateu:

Strangelly, in my language, Brazilian Portuguese, this information is not provided. Here, the shortcut to select/unselect all is control+t, and when It's pressed, NVDA says nothing.

You'd need to provide a locale specific gesture binding. See #4478, which discusses this same issue for Spanish.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant