Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Provide access to graphics written to the screen #1376

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 17, 2011 · 12 comments
Open

Provide access to graphics written to the screen #1376

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 17, 2011 · 12 comments
Labels
component/display-model enhancement p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by afsmel on 2011-02-17 23:34
while NVDA PRODUCES SOUNDS TO LET USER IDENTIFY THE LOCATION OF THE POINTER ON A SCREEN, I FIND IT WILL EMPOWER THIS WAY OF DEALING TO LET NVDA PRODUCES ANOTHER SOUND TO INFORM THE USER THAT THE MOUSE IS IS ON A GRAPHIC NOW, SPECIALLY WHEN THE HEAD OF THE ARROW IS LOCATED IN THE CENTRE OF THE GRAPHIC SO THAT ANY CLICK WILL BE FUNCTIONABLE. FURTHER, NVDA MAY HELP WITH INFORMING THE USER WITH THE REQUIRED MOVEMENT, AND HOW IT IS TO BE DONE, THIS IS IN BEGINNER MODE ONLY, THIS WILL GIVE THE USER THE ABILITY TO DEAL WITH GRAPHICAL INTERFACE SOFTWARES, WITHOUT RELYING ON MSAA. PARTICULARLY, IF USER CAN ASSIGN CERTAIN TEXT TO THE GRAPHICS HE NEEDS TO DEAL WITH IN A SOFTWARE, AND STORE THEM TO A USER DEFINED FILE, FOR WHEN LOCATING THEM IN ANOTHER TIME, NVDA INFORMS THE USER WITH THE ASSIGNED TEXT TO THIS GRAPHIC, ALSO, USER MAY BE IN NEED TO STORE THIS FILE ON A STORAGE MEDIA TO INSTALL IT AFTER HAVING ANOTHER VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE, OR ON ANOTHER SYSTEM.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-02-21 00:22
The scope of this ticket is too large, as it covers multiple major enhancements and doesn't clearly define them. I'm narrowing it to just cover providing access to graphics written to the screen, as this is needed before any of the other ideas can be considered.
Changes:
Changed title from "empowering use of mouse with nvda" to "Provide access to graphics written to the screen"

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: Would it be technically possible to get access to graphics and shapes on the screen for programs which expose output accessible using display model / screen review?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

@michaelDCurran is the display model expert, so he'd know better. Having said that, I believe it is possible to detect graphics. One problem is calculating a persistent identifier for them. Without that, you can't label them.

P4 because GDI is becoming less and less prevalent, but there are still legacy use cases that need this.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 19, 2017
@michaelDCurran
Copy link

We could certainly track when an icon is drawn to the screen. We could expose either its file path, or some kind of hash of the data.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@michaelDCurran commented on 19 jul. 2017 04:13 CEST:

We could certainly track when an icon is drawn to the screen. We could expose either its file path, or some kind of hash of the data.

Would all of this require additional hacking into the C code, or is there already a Pythonic way here to get graphics info? I'm asking because at @BabbageCom, relying on display model info is still quite prevalent, and it would really help if we could at least identify images by hash or file path as you mentioned.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Any update on this issue? Does anybody start working on it?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This could be a great improvement for the golden cursor addon, at least this would allow for a good test environment before implementing something similar into the core.

cc: @josephsl, @Robert-J-H

@Robert-J-H
Copy link
Contributor

I'm not sure that I understand the proposal.
There are Windows functions that can get the resource ID for icons, cursor and bitmaps. The file path is probably not very useful since a lot of resources are just packed into the executable. Admittedly, it would be advantageous to have at least the areas of the graphic clips and hashes could be done with e.g. md-5 checksums or whatever is fastest. Given the dynamic and animated nature of today's graphics, it won't probably be very reliable.

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

There are many software developed in China that do not follow the barrier-free standards. MSAA is completely invalid. It would be very good if the proposal can be reached. I am looking forward to it.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

I'm no longer maintaining Golden Cursor add-on, so this is beyond my area at this time (sorry).

@lijianwei2019
Copy link

Any update on this issue?

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

If this issue is completed, it will undoubtedly be a great feat for software with unfriendly accessibility.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
component/display-model enhancement p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

9 participants