Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

"Speack Typed Characters, NVDA+2" can not work while enabled as using Microsoft New Phonetic IME in Microsoft Office Word Tranditional Chinese version #1382

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 21, 2011 · 21 comments
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by james on 2011-02-21 07:36
As testing the new NVDA version 2011.2 beta2 on the Window XP Traditional Chinese version, it was found that the key command "Speack Typed Characters, NVDA+2" cannot work while typing Traditional Chinese characters using Microsoft New Phonetic IME in Windows Office Word. However, if typing English character, it works well.

To reproduce the issue, enable the Speack Typed Characters function by pressing NVDA+2 first. Open the Mircosoft Office Word and then change the input mehtod to Microsoft New Phonetic IME. Finally, type any Chinese character to see if it is spoke out.

This issue was also checked while typing traditional characters in the notepad. There's no problem while using notepad. However, if typing charater in the web page under the browser IE 8.0, the same problem occurred also.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by vgjh2005 on 2012-06-29 09:24
Yes, the problem is existence in all text editors,and we cannot edit any Chinese document with NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-06-29 10:10
I see the ticket is quite old, is the version quoted in the ticket the version which first showed the issue, and it is still there now, or is the version of nvda just what was put in when the ticket was created.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2012-06-29 11:36
Although probably not fixed in XP yet, For Windows 7 please try a development snapshot from the inputMethods branch at:
http://www.nvda-project.org/snapshots/

NV Access is currently receiving funding from organisations in both Taiwan and Hong Kong to solve these kind of issues. More funding would most certainly be welcome, especially from mainland China.

Also please join the nvda-dev-asia email list to get progress updates on this work at:
http://lists.nvaccess.org/listinfo/nvda-dev-asia

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by vgjh2005 on 2012-07-01 02:44
I feel very pity about funding.In Chinese,a lot of users using screen reader can not speak English,and they cannot understand what the meaning is in NVDA-project.Of course, they can not donate any funding.My English is very bad!I just know What is written in the site,and I cannot write English freely.If NVDA-Project can offer a Chinese donation's page ,and I think some people From Mainland China will offer some funding to support NVDA's development.If NVDA-Project can request a alypay, and I think it will become more easy.the page address isalypay This is a Chinese site,however, your system cannot show it.
In our country, there are no law about using software and browsing the Internet easier for blind.so There are many software that include a especial interface.We often cannot use all resources fairly.Our government don't know NVDA or screen reader at all.supporting NVDA is impossible.I'm sorry for the reason.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by nvdakor on 2013-04-22 04:00
Has this been fixed as of 2012.3.1/2013.1?

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation labels Nov 10, 2015
@bhavyashah
Copy link

@vgjh2005 Could you please test and let us know whether this issue still exists? If not, I suggest closing this ticket as worksforme. @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Oct 10, 2017

Just a friendly reminder for @vgjh2005 to test this issue as requested in #1382 (comment)

@vgjh2005
Copy link

Hi:
It's still a bug.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Thanks for the update @vgjh2005. Are you still using windows XP to test this? Support for XP has now been dropped, NVDA 2017.4 will require windows 7 Service Pack 1.

@vgjh2005
Copy link

vgjh2005 commented Oct 19, 2017 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Not sure if this matches the original steps to reproduce this issue, but here are my findings:

Software Versions

• Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.674
  • Microsoft Office 2013
  • NVDA next-14535,3aad54e0

To reproduce

1. Open language preferences in the windows 10 settings, if necessary add Chinese (simplified)
  2. In the system tray, set the input language to Chinese (simplified)
  3. Open MS Word.
  4. Ensure that Speak typed characters is turned on using NVDA+2
  5. Press the d key, NVDA speaks d, visually a popup shows the character d and several Chinese characters with numbers next to them.
  6. Press the 1 key, the first Chinese character is added to the document. NVDA speaks Chinese character
  7. Press the left arrow, NVDA pronounces the Chinese character.

Expected

To be able to hear the chinese pronunciation of the characters in the popup, and to hear the character when it is entered into the document.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@feerrenrut any update on how to proceed with this issue?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I assume I tested this with espeak, it would be good to confirm that espeak itself can speak these characters outside of word. I would also suggest trying some other synthesizers. If we are sure that the synth can support the characters, then we need to investigate how to get the information out of the popup window.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@larry801, do you have any further test results / ideas as a chinese speaker? Or do you know of other people who could test this under NVDA 2019.2 RC2? Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @cary-rowen could you please test if this issue is still occuring in NVDA last alpha version or NVDA 2023.1?

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

At least in the Simplified Chinese environment, NVDA's support for Chinese input methods cannot meet user needs.
So we specially developed the Chinese input method improvement add-on, currently this add-on is a must-install add-on for NVDA Chinese users, I hope that one day the feature of this add-on will appear in NVDA core, but it may not be easy.
I don't even understand what this Issue is talking about, so I may not be able to provide more information.
Chinese input method improvement add-on:
https://github.com/nvdacn/ime_expressive

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually this issue is about NVDA reporting the characters while you are typing. The setting can be turned on in NVDA keyboard settings.

Regarding the addon, if the developers are interested they certainly could raise a pull request and then start a discussion with NV Access on how feasible it is to get it into the core.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

I assume this is also a problem in Windows 11? Also, could you get IME Expressive add-on into NV Access ad-on store for visibility and discoverability by Chinese IME users across the world?

Thanks.

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

Hi @josephsl @Adriani90

This add-on was specially developed to meet the Chinese character input needs of Chinese users, and may not meet the coding style of NVDA, at least currently.
What confuses me even more is whether this add-on will negatively impact other CJK users.
Also, I will be listing this add-on in the add-on store in the near future.

Best
Cary

@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

I recommend close this:

1. The software version in the original description is too old.
  2. I don’t think NVDA+2 should be used to meet Chinese input needs.
    Because entering a Chinese character may require multiple steps, this is not a situation that can be covered by a option. See IME Expressive

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

n case IME Expressive would be a useful addition for the Core, let us know so we can go over the add-on code and suggest changes.

Thanks.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants