Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA's "mouse tracking" causes NOD32 Antivirus to crash #1393

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 26, 2011 · 5 comments
Closed

NVDA's "mouse tracking" causes NOD32 Antivirus to crash #1393

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 26, 2011 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2011-02-26 16:08
I've started using NOD32 Antivirus in May 2010. A few months later I've started using NVDA regularly as well (previously I was using another screen reader as my primary one). Since I've started using NVDA, I've noticed that while NOD32 Antivirus displays some of its standalone windows (update notifications, virus alerts, etc.), there's a possibility that the NOD32 GUI module (egui.exe) may crash with the standard error message of Windows 7 that a program stopped working. And I may say that I'm at least partially blaming NVDA for this crash, because while I was using the other screen reader (JAWS) such crashes did not occur. I think that those crashes may be caused by NVDA's "mouse tracking", but I'm not sure about it.

Recently (in the latest NVDA snapshots) however, things got worse. If I point the mouse cursor in the list of scan results (e.g. after a "context menu" scan), the NOD32 GUI module (egui.exe) crashes. This did not occur previously (with NVDA 2010.2 for example). I'm using NVDA snapshot r4120 and NOD32 Antivirus v4.2.71.2 (in bulgarian). This time I'm 100% sure that NVDA's "mouse tracking" is the culprit, because when I turn it off, there's no crashing of egui.exe.

Steps to reproduce at least the second part of the issue (the first part is difficult to reproduce because it doesn't happen every time):

1. Turn on the "mouse tracking" of NVDA (if it is not turned on already) by pressing Insert+M.
  2. Make a scan for viruses with NOD32 (e.g. from the context menu for a selected object). But make sure that there is at least one log entry in the scan results list (e.g. for an archive with a password) for the crash to occur.
  3. When the scan is finished, select that entry from the list and move the mouse cursor over it. NOD32's GUI module (egui.exe) crashes. Actually, the selecting may not be necessary - the crash occurs as soon as the mouse cursor is placed over one of the entries in the list.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2011-02-26 21:32
Alright, it turns out that even though NVDA's "mouse tracking" looks to be causing the NOD32 crash, the main culprit is the new "enhancedListViewSupport" global plugin. When I removed it and restarted NVDA, the second part of the problem was gone.

Even so, the first part of the problem still remains and unfortunately it is harder to reproduce than the second one. But I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Bernd on 2013-05-07 15:45
Does the problem still exist with nvda 2013.1 and newer versions of nod32? I ask because the "enhancedListViewSupport" functionality was implemented into nvda.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-05-07 17:08
Unfortunately, I can't test because I don't use NOD32 anymore - I've switched to Microsoft Security Essentials. Hope someone else can test.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-11-11 08:13
Yesterday I've installed again NOD32 (v8) for a few hours. The crash with the mouse tracking didn't occur at all, witch probably means it was an issue in NOD32 itself and it was fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-11-11 10:03
Closing for now, but please reopen if you rediscover this issue. :)
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant