Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 9, 2011 · 46 comments · Fixed by #14896
Closed

Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 9, 2011 · 46 comments · Fixed by #14896
Labels
component/audio NVDA's audio output (nvWave, issues with usb audio etc). enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation. ux
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by KevanGC on 2011-03-09 06:12
Hi,

I've noticed that when you're browsing the web and you switch between Browse and Focus mode, NVDA plays these sound-effects. The sound-effects are very loud and sometimes they get annoying. It would be cool if you could add a feature for users to adjust the volumes of sound effects and progress-bar tones?
Blocking #892, #2978, #3100, #4590

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-03-09 06:15
Changes:
Changed title from "Browse and Focus sounds are too loud" to "Ability to adjust volume of sounds"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by aleksey_s on 2011-03-09 06:55
I think better would be if voice volume controlled the volume of whole NVDA, including beeps and sound effects. This may be addressed in my NVWaveEnhancements branch.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by KevanGC on 2011-03-09 06:59
What if you want to have the sounds quieter than the speech?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2011-03-09 07:03
I am totally against voice volume controlling volume of sounds. In that case, it shouldn't be voice volume and it should be moved out of voice settings. Anyway, the original request wanted separate control for this, as the user found the sounds too loud relative to the voice.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by aleksey_s (in reply to comment 5) on 2011-03-09 07:15
Replying to jteh:

I am totally against voice volume controlling volume of sounds. In that case, it shouldn't be voice volume and it should be moved out of voice settings.

Right, I didn't say it would be in voice settings.

Anyway, the original request wanted separate control for this, as the user found the sounds too loud relative to the voice.

Then we should consider separate control for beeps as well. My point is that there should exist a control which manages the whole volume, and individual adjustments should be possible also. What about sound effect factor and tones factor? this way user can adjust entire volume as well as tune, say, sound effects factor to be 80% of the entire volume.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2011-03-09 07:45
I can't help feeling adjusting both tones and sounds separately is unnecessary or confusing. Tones and sounds are both supplementary; i.e. they aren't the primary form of audio output and they serve roughly the same purpose. However, having the sounds volume relative to the overall volume does make some sense.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment by jteh on 2013-03-23 05:13
(In #3100) Duplicate of #1409.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by driemer.riemer@... on 2013-04-12 04:42
I have noticed that the sound of progress bars advancing gets louder and louder the higher it gets. A nice feature would be to dynamically adjust the volume according to the pitch of the progress bars. I have had the volume of progress bars adjust so much while moving that people ask me what that beeping noise is with the volume adjusted and headphones on.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by briang1 on 2013-04-12 07:53
Firstly, the apparent rising volume does not actually seem to be real. Load some bleeps into a sound editor and use a compressor on them. I'm thinking small speakers madke low frequences sound quieter in my view

with regard to matching sounds and voice. Really if you are going to do this then maybe the system sound and the voice sound are all you need. However in one case it will be a balance sound level with systems sound then the normal volume controll can be used for both. sound level for voices is different on different voices ands synths so I can understand the need to have some control.
I'm not sure if it needs more than now, or a use of the controls in a more sensible way to achieve the result.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by Q on 2013-04-12 13:09
This thing is becoming overcomplicated.
Jamie: The user indicated that the sounds were too loud relative to speech volume because they turned their speech down and then did something, I.E. going in to a form field which is shockingly, terribly loud.
The discussion of progress bar beeps becoming louder as they increase in pitch is quite valid, but I think belongs in a separate ticket, this is something else we can address but has nothing to do with an overall volume.

My proposal:
A single volume which controls any speech or NVWave sound, tone, whatever. If this doesn't work we can iterate further, but let's not overthink it and consequently not move on it for another couple years.
I'll begin work on this and submit a patch to this ticket once I've got it sorted out. Once that's done we can discuss other issues further. I recommend you guys open another ticket re the progress bar tones.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2013-04-24 02:18
Re-posting Q from nvda-dev so we don't lose this.

So I've created an initial implementation of this that seems to work. Now any sound played through nvwave.playWaveFile scales its volume to that of the synthesizer. It makes things like entering/exiting browse mode when your synthesizer is turned down much more tolerable.
The only issue with it is that, for a reason I have not yet been able to determine, the very first file played, start.wav, is not scaled. All subsequent files are. If anyone could offer any insight I'd really appreciate it.
A patch is available at:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/995729/nvwave_volume.patch

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh (in reply to comment 12) on 2013-04-24 02:35
Replying to Q:

The discussion of progress bar beeps becoming louder as they increase in pitch is quite valid,

As noted in comment:11, I'm pretty sure they aren't actually louder. It depends on the frequency response of your listening equipment. With my decent headphones, higher beeps don't seem louder, but with my notebook speakers, they do, since my notebook speakers have crappy low frequency response.

but I think belongs in a separate ticket,

If there is actually an issue, yes, please file another ticket.

A single volume which controls any speech or NVWave sound, tone, whatever. If this doesn't work we can iterate further, but let's not overthink it and consequently not move on it for another couple years.

IN general, your proposal makes sense, but there are problems:

• Some users mightn't actually want this single volume control; e.g. if the synth they're using is particularly loud or soft relative to other synths.
  • It's counter-intuitive for the volume in Voice Settings to affect other sounds. Also, that volume setting is synth specific. If you want this, it should be moved out of Voice Settings, but again, some users might want it left as it is now.
  • If you do move it out of Voice Settings, it can't be adjusted from the Synth Settings ring, since that's only for synth settings.
  • It's possible for a synth driver to be for a hardware synth or the like, in which case none of this makes any sense at all.

In short, the UI is the problem here and adapting it to fit this feature will require a great deal of change.

One option that was suggested is to a have a checkbox in the Synthesizer dialog named "Volume of NVDA sounds follows voice volume", "Link volume of NVDA sounds to voice volume" or similar. This is not entirely elegant, but it solves the problem in a fairly clear and intuitive way. It should probably be disabled by default to avoid confusion and so users understand what they are choosing to do.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh (in reply to comment 13) on 2013-04-24 03:27
Replying to jteh:

So I've created an initial implementation of this that seems to work.

Actually, !WaveOutSetVolume seems to affect the volume of the entire application, even if I change the -1 you specify to self._waveout (which is the instance specific wave out handle). It may even affect the entire system in XP. This is problematic because synthesisers control their own volume (and we don't handle audio output for all of them). (Imo, MSDN doesn't document this properly.) This means the volume is reduced by more than intended.

Now any sound played through nvwave.playWaveFile scales its volume to that of the synthesizer.

This needs to affect tones as well, but I assume you hadn't gotten around to that rather than it being an oversight.

The only issue with it is that, for a reason I have not yet been able to determine, the very first file played, start.wav, is not scaled.

Here's what's happening:

1. playWaveFile sets the volume to, say, 30.
  2. eSpeak loads and uses nvwave. The volume defaults to 100. nvwave sets the volume accordingly.
  3. Because !WaveOutSetVolume affects the whole application, it just overrode the volume change in step 1.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by blindbhavya on 2014-11-03 17:45
Hi,
For a more advanced implementation, I propose:
Create an Audio Manager dialog box in the Preferences submenu.
On the initial screen, there should be a slider to change the volume of all NVDA sounds (such as browse mode and focus mode audio indications, progresss bar updates indicating beeps, sounds played on starting and exitting NVDA etc.)
Next there should be the Advanced button which opens up a dialog where you can customize the volume of each sound individually, depending on what suits you.
If this implementation is adopted, then probably all the check boxes in various Settings dialog to play certain sounds or not would no longer be required, because the slider of these individual controls when set to 0 anyways would disable those sounds.
Also, there should be some method by which you can test your volume modifications, when you are in the dialog itself, so you can decide on which volume suits you.
Just my suggestions...

@ctoth
Copy link
Contributor

ctoth commented Jan 13, 2016

This is still giving a terrible user experience for the default case in 2016.
I often turn down my synthesizer volume when I need to turn up my system volume to hear something quiet. If then an NVDA UI sound plays, it is actively painful.

Please stop hurting my ears.

@Laughingthunder
Copy link

I agree with this. I think there should definitely be an option to tie
the UI sounds to the speech volume.

On 1/13/2016 12:56 PM, Christopher Toth wrote:

This is still giving a terrible user experience for the default case in
I often turn down my synthesizer volume when I need to turn up my system
volume to hear something quiet. If then an NVDA UI sound plays, it is
actively painful.

Please stop hurting my ears.

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#1409 (comment).

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jan 14, 2016

I provided details on the problems with the current patch in these two comments. I don't have time to work on this right now, but I'm very happy to discuss if someone can propose a solution which deals with the problems I outlined.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Merely introducing another option in the Voice Settings dialog or the Synthesizer Settings dialog to configure both the sounds and tones of NVDA combined would suffice, in my opinion. An average user would not differentiate between NVDA's sounds, tones and beeps, and thus rolling all of their customizability into one control should not be restrictive at all. Splitting this proposed option into sounds and tones, on the other hand, may seem unnecessary clutter and an overkill for some. Upon reading the discussion on this ticket though, I reckon I agree that merging this proposal into the Voice Volume option itself would be counter-intuitive. Could this ticket, if possible, please also be prioritized since there seems enough demand for this facility viewing the number of other tickets it blocks or at least assigned a priority?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Its hard to prioritise this above the current core projects. The demand is clear, and this seems to be an important problem to solve. On the other hand, at this stage, it is not clear what the preferred UX or implementation would be. This makes the implementation cost high. I'll set this as a P3 for now. If we can become more certain about the UX and try to simplify the issue and thus the cost of implementing this then we may be able to make it a P2.

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jan 19, 2017
@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

I would just like to put my point of distress.
I resuscitated the voice of the nvda to use the voices of windows onecore, this to be able to use the functionality of reading of the emugis.
The voice in Brazilian Portuguese is very low.
One thing that's bothering me a lot is how I had to add to the sound of nvda. The sounds of nvda were almost unbearable when wearing headphones.
So I would suggest almost that in the form of a plea (laughs), it would be a way of lowering the sounds of the nvda individually, so it could make the sounds low and the synthesizer's voice louder.
I would like to add two more points.
I went to do a lecture showing the assistive technologies, and I connected the sound of the computer in sound boxes, and the difference between the voice of the onecore synthesizer was low, in contrast to the sounds of the nvda, but within the settings of the nvda The voice volume is at 100%.
And finally, I was experimenting with Joseph Lee's Object Location Tones add-on (and I would like to congratulate him), the idea was great, and the possibility of finding out where each object on the screen was, there was not an idea Visual of how it was organized the screen of a computer, however I was almost obliged to disable the complement again for the reasons above, I had to increase the overall volume of the nvda due to low onecore voice, and the sounds of the nvda were almost unbearable mainly The beeps used in the snap-in, and the progress bars.
Many thanks for the great work, and the comments are just from a constant user of nvda.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Aug 24, 2017

A few thoughts:

• @derekriemer notes in Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409 (comment) that the volume of tones (such as the beeps for progress bar updates) increases as it goes higher. This is undesirable since a user only expects the pitch to increase and the volume of the tones to remain constant. However, @Brian1Gaff's Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409 (comment) and @jcsteh's agreement expressed in a later comment together suggest that this is a fallacy resultant of the varying frequency responses of different audio playback equipment. Derek, do you still maintain your original stand, or do you agree with Brian and Jamie's explanations? Regardless, as Jamie notes in Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409 (comment), if this actually turns out to be an existent issue, it would require a new ticket.
  • I am of the opinion that a single volume control for all NVDA (.wav) sound schemes should be controlled by one slider. While counter-intuitiveness may be a concern, placing this slider in the Synthesizer Settings dialog or in the Voice Settings dialog sounds equally fine to me. I do agree that the proposed sound volume option should be synth specific so that a user can customize the sound volume relative to the loudness of every speech synthesizer individually.
  • According to me, the current Volume slider in the Voice Settings dialog could be renamed to Voice Volume and another slider named Sound Volume could be added. This would allow for it to be accessed by the Synth Settings Ring also.
  • I am not too sure I agree with the implementation of or understand the need for a "Volume of NVDA sounds follows voice volume" option. This sounds unnecessary to me.
    As noted in @feerrenrut's Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409 (comment), we must discuss the UX completely so as to facilitate this ticket's reprioritization to potentially a P2. CC @fernando-jose-silva @ctoth @Laughingthunder @LeonarddeR and others

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

fernando-jose-silva commented Aug 24, 2017 via email

@zepumph
Copy link

zepumph commented Jan 5, 2023

From #1409 (comment):

going in to a form field which is shockingly, terribly loud.

I couldn't agree more, I am an accessibility developer and tester at PhET Interactive Simulations and I get a headache after just a few minutes because of the enter/exit forms-mode sounds. This would be a wonderful improvement to your amazing project! Thanks!

@seanbudd seanbudd added ux triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation. labels Jan 5, 2023
@valiant8086
Copy link

valiant8086 commented Jan 6, 2023 via email

@beqabeqa473
Copy link
Contributor

beqabeqa473 commented Apr 2, 2023

there was 12 years passed and no solution was done.
It is a bit uncomfortable to listen these sounds on a high volume like error sounds and beeps.
Maybe we can revisit overal thing, and provide a solution.
I can try to work on this, but before we should identify what we want to see.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think I am with Derek, turning down speech volume should turn down sounds volume as well. otherwise the settings would be to granular and people would get overwelmed by having to adjust tones of volume settings depending on how many profiles they are using.

Maybe using other wav sounds with a softer texture would improve the user experience.

I propose to also change the checkbox "play sounds" in NVDA general settings to a list with checkboxes, where people can mute and unmute different sounds in NVDA, i.e. progress bar, browse and focus mode, start and exit. The individual sound muting settings are mainly changed on a global scale rather than on a specific profile.

@ctoth
Copy link
Contributor

ctoth commented Apr 2, 2023

I'm just sad that it's 12 years since the original bug report, I implemented something that would have at least worked, and we're still discussing this.

Rather than blocking patches that aren't perfect until a perfect solution has been developed, I feel this project would make far more progress if it were willing to iterate and make improvements as they came, even if they weren't perfect.

I know that for me, every time my ears are blown out by the inappropriately-loud form field sound when the speech volume is turned all the way down, I think negatively about this.

It would be a good idea to replace all NVDA Sound Output, in fact, using something like https://miniaud.io/

Then all sound volume could be unified and we wouldn't have to worry about odd quirks of WaveOut.

Whatever we end up doing, I hold this truth to be self-evident:
We don't need a million more options.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 2, 2023

In the WASAPI backend in #14697, I've just added support for configuring specific audio sessions (007b6fc). Tones and wave files have been split into a separate "NVDA sounds" session, which means this volume can be set independently using the system Volume Mixer. Undoubtedly, this won't be good enough for some people, since it isn't configurable from within NVDA's own UI and it doesn't change with the volume of the voice. However, changing the two together isn't desirable for everyone either. And having too many options is difficult to maintain and too complex for some people. So we can't win whatever way we go. Regardless, this at least partially addresses the concern, since users will now have some way of adjusting the volume of sounds, even if they don't love it.

This change also makes it possible to set the session volume via nvwave, so a check box could be added to make the volume of sounds follow the voice volume if so desired.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 2, 2023

Rather than blocking patches that aren't perfect until a perfect solution has been developed, I feel this project would make far more progress if it were willing to iterate and make improvements as they came, even if they weren't perfect.

There's truth in that. On the other hand, the only solution thus far would have suited one use case (tying sound volume to voice volume) and regressed another use case (users who absolutely don't want sound volume tied to voice volume). The comments on this issue have made it pretty clear that both use cases are real and not imagined. As it is, I suspect you're not going to like the solution I've come up with above because it doesn't tie the two together and because you have to open the system Volume Mixer to use it. It's not perfect, but at least it doesn't break people who depend on them remaining separate.

Whatever we end up doing, I hold this truth to be self-evident: We don't need a million more options.

And yet, as noted above, there are multiple use cases we have to address here, some of which negatively impact others. One person's "not perfect but workable" is another's "this breaks me on a daily basis".

@beqabeqa473
Copy link
Contributor

NVWave still does not have a possibility to simply set a volume of sounds, not talking about adjusting it from an ui.

I have an addon and wanted to adjust volume of playWaveFile with my own addon UI but as i understand, nvwave doesn't have such possibility.

@ctoth Do you still have that patch around? I was searching on my pc such piece of code but unfortunately was not able to find and that dropbox link is not working anymore.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 3, 2023

nvwave currently doesn't, but the WASAPI version of nvwave in #14697 now does. @ctoth's original patch only set the volume for the entire application, not individual streams/sessions. See #1409 (comment).

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Apr 3, 2023 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I agree with @XLTechie on the checkbox suggestion. Jamie huge thanks to you and the guys from NV Access for working on the audio output stuff, writing more than 1,000 lines of code in this project is really a huge talent. Really amazing.

@ctoth I understand totally your frustration. On the other hand, I also understand the developers who want to provide a solution that is really improving user experience and does not result in lots of additional issues or important functionalities being broken.
To be realistic, this is the nature of open source projects. Many people contribute to this project volutarily, and structural funding sources for open source projects is still a challenge, even in 2023. So imo even if we have to wait many years to see significant improvements in certain cases, it is really incredible how far this project came given the small team at NV Access and many people working in their spare time for this project.

I'd say don't loose your motivation, even when things take long time to happen. This is the only way we can stand out against purely commercial solutions that often do as much as open source solutions or even less.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 4, 2023

Looking at all the comments here, I'm still not convinced that having this check box (once implemented) default to enabled is actually "what most people expect". This is largely because there is no guarantee that a given voice will have an equivalent volume to the sounds; see the comments above regarding some OneCore voices, for example. Thus, I think the correct approach here is to get the check box implemented, default it to disabled and then see where we land. This minimises risk while giving users an option if they want it.

@beqabeqa473
Copy link
Contributor

Personally for me it does not matter will it be enabled by default or not.
Of course, from an nn-advanced user's view it would be better to make this checkbox disabled by default, but having this as an option is more than appreciated.

It would be better to find a way to implement concrete volume control in nvwave itself.
I understand @jcsteh said that it is now possible to control volume from system mixer, but having it controled from the code also would be great for winmm if wasapi won't be enabled by default for a while.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 4, 2023

We need WASAPI for controlling both via the System Volume Mixer and via nvwave. It just isn't worth implementing it for WinMM at this point. The intention is now to get WASAPI enabled by default in alpha as soon as possible to get maximum possible feedback.

@beqabeqa473
Copy link
Contributor

Yes, that makes sense if it will be enabled by default

michaelDCurran pushed a commit that referenced this issue Apr 30, 2023
NVDA's existing audio output code (nvwave) is largely very old and uses WinMM, a very old legacy Windows audio API. It is also written in pure Python, contains quite a few threading locks necessitated by WinMM, and parts of it have become rather difficult to reason about. There are several known stability and audio glitching issues that are difficult to solve with the existing code.

Description of user facing changes
At the very least, this fixes audio glitches at the end of some utterances as described in #10185 and #11061.
I haven't noticed a significant improvement in responsiveness on my system, but my system is also very powerful. It's hard to know whether the stability issues (e.g. #11169) are fixed or not. Time will tell as I run with this more.

Description of development approach
1. The bulk of the WASAPI implementation is written in C++. The WASAPI interfaces are easy to access in C++ and difficult to access in Python. In addition, this allows for the best possible performance, given that we regularly and continually stream audio data.
2. The WinMM code fired callbacks by waiting for the previous chunk to finish playing before sending the next chunk, which could result in buffer underruns (glitches) if callbacks were close together (Python 3 versions of NVDA produce a scratch in the speech when finishing the end of a line #10185 and Texts with multiple line spacings are voiced with NVDA + down arrow and voices crack #11061). In contrast, the WASAPI code uses the audio playback clock to fire callbacks independent of data buffering, eliminating glitches caused by callbacks.
3. The WinMM WavePlayer class is renamed to WinmmWavePlayer. The WASAPI version is called WasapiWavePlayer. Rather than having a common base class, this relies on duck-typing. I figured it didn't make sense to have a base class given that WasapiWavePlayer will likely replace WinmmWavePlayer altogether at some point.
4. WavePlayer is set to one of these two classes during initialisation based on a new advanced configuration setting. WASAPI defaults to disabled.
5. WasapiWavePlayer.feed can take a ctypes pointer and size instead of a Python bytes object. This avoids the overhead of additional memory copying and Python objects in cases where we are given a direct pointer to memory anyway, which is true for most (if not all) speech synthesisers.
6. For compatibility, WinmmWavePlayer.feed supports a ctypes pointer as well, but it just converts it to a Python bytes object.
7. eSpeak and oneCore have been updated to pass a ctypes pointer to WavePlayer.feed.
8. When playWaveFile is used asynchronously, it now feeds audio on the background thread, rather than calling feed on the current thread. This is necessary because the WASAPI code blocks once the buffer (400 ms) is full, rather than having variable sized buffers. Even with the WinMM code, playWaveFile code could block for a short time (nvwave.playWaveFile not fully async #10413). This should improve that also.
9. WasapiWavePlayer supports associating a stream with a specific audio session, which allows that session to be separately configurable in the system Volume Mixer. NVDA tones and wave files have been split into a separate "NVDA sounds" session. WinmmWavePlayer has a new setSessionVolume method that can be used to set the volume of a session. This at least partially addresses Ability to adjust volume of sounds #1409.
@seanbudd
Copy link

@jcsteh - can this be closed given #14697 was merged?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 14, 2023

This issue got a bit conflated. There were two requests here: the ability to control the volume of sounds in general, and the ability to link the volume of sounds to NVDA's speech volume. The former is implemented by #14697. The latter is implemented by #14896. Thus, I think this should be closed by #14896 for completeness.

seanbudd pushed a commit that referenced this issue Jun 14, 2023
#14896)

Fixes #1409.

Summary of the issue:
Users would like to be able to control the volume of NVDA sounds. With the WASAPI implementation in #14697, it is possible to separately control the volume of NVDA sounds using the Windows Volume Mixer. However, it is often useful to link the volume of NVDA sounds to the volume of the voice.

It is now possible to have the volume of NVDA sounds and beeps follow the volume setting of the voice you are using. This option can be enabled in Advanced settings.

When this option is enabled and a WasapiWavePlayer is using soundsSession, the open() and stop() methods of WasapiWavePlayer set the session volume to the synth's voice volume. Note that we do this in stop() because some players keep the device open; e.g. tones.
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto modified the milestone: 2023.2 Jun 14, 2023
seanbudd pushed a commit that referenced this issue Jun 22, 2023
Better solution for #1409. Addresses #14896 (comment). Also addresses feedback I received on Mastodon regarding the NVDA sounds volume not appearing in the Windows Volume Mixer in some versions of Windows.

Summary of the issue:
In Support for audio output using WASAPI #14697, I split NVDA speech and sounds into two separate Windows audio sessions to allow independent control of their levels. However, some users want these levels to be linked.
In Add setting to have the volume of NVDA sounds follow the voice volume. #14896, I made it possible to have the sounds volume follow the voice volume. However, as per Add setting to have the volume of NVDA sounds follow the voice volume. #14896 (comment), some synths don't set the volume in a linear way, so the volumes don't match.
It was reported to me on Mastodon that in Windows 11 Insider builds, the "NVDA sounds" volume doesn't show up in the Windows Volume Mixer unless you actively play a sound while the Volume Mixer is running. This is not very intuitive, and if this is behaviour Microsoft intends to keep, it isn't going to work well for our users.
Having the volume of NVDA sounds controlled outside of NVDA is a little cumbersome.
There will now only be one entry for NVDA in the Windows Volume Mixer which will control all NVDA audio.
There will be a slider in NVDA Advanced Settings to control the volume of sounds.
Removed the ability to set a WASAPI session and volume.
Added a method to set the volume of a stream. This also allows you to set the volume of individual channels, though that's not used yet.
Added a slider in Advanced Settings to control the volume of NVDA sounds. This is disabled if the sound volume is following the voice volume.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
component/audio NVDA's audio output (nvWave, issues with usb audio etc). enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority triaged Has been triaged, issue is waiting for implementation. ux
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.