Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

PROBLEMS WITH DIALOG BOXES ON WEB PAGES IN FIREFOX #1418

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 18, 2011 · 6 comments
Closed

PROBLEMS WITH DIALOG BOXES ON WEB PAGES IN FIREFOX #1418

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 18, 2011 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dharvey on 2011-03-18 11:57
Hi,

Has anyone noticed when using some websites EG Facebook when interacting with the site IE replying to an event or message, or sending a friend request an inaccessible dialog box pops up when using Firefox 3.6.15? IE isn't affected by this issue.

STR using FB.

1. Log into your Facebook account.
  2. Go to the Events page and find the Respond button and clikc it.
  3. Find the series of radio buttons, noticed the dialog box that pops up?
  4. Try sending a message to someone, go to a friend's profile and try to send a PM, the same dialog box pops up.

Try the same instructions in IE, notice there's no change? You can still review the page as normal and jump to elements IE Radio button, form field ETC, but using FF has the dialog problem, and has domedone resets to see if it was my browser that was causing it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by KevanGC on 2011-03-27 00:00
Facebook's made more changes. When commenting on posts, there's no longer a comment button. To comment, type in your comment and press ENTER. TO add a new line, press shift+enter.

Here's a link where you guys can e-mail the Facebook Accessibility team if you want. http://www.facebook.com/#!/help/contact.php?show_form=accessibility

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-03-27 00:06
Facebook has chosen to mark this as a dialog using ARIA, which will cause NVDA to switch out of document mode. I haven't checked this myself yet, but I suspect accessibility is not properly implemented, and if this is the case, this is a problem with Facebook, not NVDA.

The reason it behaves differently in IE is that we don't support ARIA dialogs properly in IE and instead treat them as documents, which is actually a bug in NVDA that happens to work for the better in this case. Nevertheless, this is incorrect behaviour.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by KevanGC on 2011-03-27 00:28
ARIA causes NVDA to switch out of document mode but it's still possible to switch back in. Just press Insert+control+Space and you're back in. Next time you move though you're out again. There should be a setting in the virtual buffers dialog that sets NVDA to not automatically switch out of document mode every time you move.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2011-03-27 00:54
NVDA+control+space returns focus to the document, but as soon as you move, focus gets pushed back into the dialog. We shouldn't be rendering dialogs into the document at all; that is #990. The point is that if something is marked as a dialog, it is not meant to be a document and should never be treated as such.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 28, 2017

I was not able to reproduce this using the STR provided in #1418 (comment), step 4, as I believe the events page has changed since this was created. @jcsteh, does NVDA treat ARIA dialogs any differently since this was created?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 2, 2017

Before #7433 (which has only happened in the last couple of weeks), dialogs in all browsers (except Edge) did not use browse mode. Due to changes in ARIA 1.1 and the prevalence of web dialogs relying on users being able to browse document content (including Facebook), PR #7433 (issue #4493) changes this so that browse mode is used for dialogs.

Closing as a duplicate of #4493.

@jcsteh jcsteh marked this as a duplicate of #4493 Aug 2, 2017
@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Aug 2, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants