Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

"Browse mode" is not turned on when the ARIA role of DOCUMENT is detected #1452

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 11, 2011 · 7 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vtsaran on 2011-04-11 23:30
When NVDA detects the role of DOCUMENT, the "Browse Mode" should be turned on giving controls to the virtual buffer. Currently, NVDA announces that the role is present, but does not do anything abut this.
Seems like it's a regression because I remember this working in 2010.1 or earlier.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-04-12 00:07
I assume you mean when an element with document role is inside an ARIA application? A test case would be great if possible.

This probably sort of worked before #277 was fixed because we didn't care about ARIA applications inside buffers back then, which was incorrect.

We actually need to render a separate buffer for the document inside the application. Thus, it also needs #990 to be fixed so we don't render the application inside its parent document.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by vtsaran on 2011-04-13 05:26
No, I am talking about DOCUMENT role in general. It doesn't seem like NVDA switches the "browse mode" on automatically.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-04-13 05:32
I need to see a test case. It doesn't really make sense to have a document role in the middle of a document that isn't an application, so I don't understand the use case at all.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2011-04-28 03:38
We discussed this further via email. The original issue referred to not switching to browse mode when focus mode was locked with NVDA+space, but this is definitely intentional. This ticket will therefore address the document in application bug as described in comment:1.

This does actually work in Firefox 3.6. It doesn't work in Firefox 4 because you can't call IAccessible::accChild on an object which is not a real document. In this case, the document is fake (by setting its role using ARIA), so accChild fails.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2011-05-10 06:43
In Firefox, this works correctly if the document is a real document; i.e. in an iframe. Test case: http://public.yahoo.com/kloots/aria/app-doc-switch-iframe.html

It does not work if the document is an ARIA document (@ROLE="document"). Test case: http://public.yahoo.com/kloots/aria/app-doc-switch.html

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2011-06-09 07:45
Documents in ARIA applications (both iframe and ARIA documents) are supported for IE in 44487c9.

ARIA documents work as of Firefox 6 (not yet released), as MozillaBug:653607 has been fixed.

We'll address #990 separately, as it isn't necessary if the top level document is an application.
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2011.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2011-06-09 07:45
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant