Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

sentence endings aren't preserved in notepad #1462

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 18, 2011 · 12 comments
Closed

sentence endings aren't preserved in notepad #1462

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 18, 2011 · 12 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2011-04-18 09:39
str:

• open notepad
  • type "does this work?" without quotes
  • press NVDA+up arrow

Current results:
NVDA speaks the line as there is no question mark at the end

Expected results:
NVDA should preserve question mark.

Additional info:
Works as expected in akelpad.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-04-18 09:55
Are you absolutely certain of this? In your example, I see this in the log:

Speaking u'does this work?\x00'

That shows that the question mark is definitely being preserved.

Note that the null character immediately following the question mark (which edit fields output at the end of each line) might be affecting the output from the synth. We should perhaps consider stripping those. This would perhaps also explain the difference between the two editors.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aleksey_s on 2011-04-18 13:28
I haven't looked in the log, only tested with espeak and newfon. This is definitely a regression.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2011-04-18 15:07
Well it is still working obviously in Sapi 5 Daniel. However I cannot really detect much intonation in Espeak built in in any case for a question mark, but i think its still working as it did.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2011-04-18 23:15
We used to insert a space after preserving punctuation, but this is incorrect and causes problems for the apostrophe, etc. If you turn speak punctuation off in NVDA 2011.2, you should get exactly the same result. These synths probably require a space after a question mark in order to cause inflection.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2011-04-18 23:26
I meant NVDA 2011.1.1.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2011-04-19 00:23
Erg. Sorry, that log entry happens at the wrong stage, so doesn't prove anything.

Looks like the null character is affecting the sentence ending rule. However, this would have been the same in 2011.1.1. What symbol level are you using? In 2011.1.1, what did you have speak punctuation set to?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2011-04-19 01:51
Solution is to remove the null character at the end of text in standard Edit controls.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2011.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by aleksey_s (in reply to comment 6) on 2011-04-19 06:01
Replying to jteh:

Looks like the null character is affecting the sentence ending rule. However, this would have been the same in 2011.1.1. What symbol level are you using? In 2011.1.1, what did you have speak punctuation set to?

I do not have 2001.1.1 installed here, I use latest NVDA from sources all the time. I can confirm that the regression is here after recent merge. Also, I checked with 2010.1 (which I suddenly have in program files) to see that both synths behave as expected in described situation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2011-04-19 07:22
You still didn't answer my actual question.

What did you have speak punctuation set to when testing with the older code? Here, if I set speak punctuation to on (with older code), the question mark is not preserved in Notepad unless I put a space after the question mark. Thus, this isn't actually a regression in that case. However, if I set speak punctuation to off, it is preserved because we just send unprocessed punctuation to the synth in that case.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mdcurran on 2011-04-25 04:08
Hopefully fixed in 4eb7db2. Please test and if so then close as fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by aleksey_s on 2011-04-25 08:18
Fixed in 4eb7db2. Thanks, Mick.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by briang1 on 2011-04-25 12:20
Yes it works, but beware some voices never seem to take much notice of this. Serena and Emily in Scansofts voices are like this, but Daniel works.
The original problem of end of line not working seems fine otherwise.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants