Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Symbol speaking verbosity while cursoring and say all #1466

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 20, 2011 · 13 comments
Closed

Symbol speaking verbosity while cursoring and say all #1466

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 20, 2011 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2011-04-20 09:32
Having read all the tickets regarding the new symbol processing, some parts are not clear to me. Namely, exacty when and where punctuation and other symbols are to be spoken. I can understand the levels relating to say all, and this seems to work quite well, but I'd question the choices in the current set up for.
Sayall of web and email addresses
Cursoring up and down in documents
In email addresses and web sites, the full punctuation shoul, in my view, always be spoken thus making it less likely you will need to stop and cursor along a line to hear all the items.
In the old set up, dots between elements were spoken in cursor up and down, but now only increasing the verbosity of the punctuation to most lets this occur but with even more spoken than before. Try these.
Channel 4+1 (13)
Rubbish@noisp.co.uk
www.not_a_real_address.org
My-name@semi-bored.co.uk
http://silly-address.org.uk

The first one above is a channel from a tv listing page, where the channel is called plus 1 as its a time shifted channel, and the number in the brackets is the channel number. The rest are obvious.

Is there anything that could be done to achieve the correct spoken results here?
I'd have thought that cursor up and down and left and right might also need the same level of punctuation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2011-04-20 09:46
Changes:
Changed title from "Symbol speaking verbosity while cursoring selectionW" to "Symbol speaking verbosity while cursoring and say all"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment symbols.dic added by briang1 on 2011-04-20 19:27
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2011-04-20 19:34
I just tested the uploaded symbol.dic file in the some setting, and its behaving as I think one might wish.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-04-20 23:32
When you set the symbol level, it is used for all reading except moving by character. If you set the symbol level to anything other than all, you have chosen not to read symbols below that level. If we pronounced all of the symbols you suggest in "none" and "some", they would no longer be useful.

The problem with the old implementation is that when speak punctuation was set to off, it just let the synth decide. This meant that even though you disabled speaking of punctuation, you still heard certain symbols that the synth decided to speak, thus defeating the point of disabling it. Now, you can choose.

That said, we're still open to suggestions as to what symbols should be in "some" and "most".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2011-04-21 06:49
In the file I uploaded, I have not changed none in any way. None still means none.
I have however moved characters that tend to be common in web and email addresses, and file paths etc, into some, from most, things like dot, colon, backslash, underscore, etc. Also moved equals, plus as well. This seems to be better for most things though of course it does mean that times etc, say colon.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2011-04-21 06:54
The problem is that this sort of defeats the point of the "some" level as compared to "most". Also, web addresses can contain other obscure symbols such as "~".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 on 2011-04-21 07:11
Well, I'm not so sure, as the dot particularly is very important to be heard in emails etc.
the most on the other hand seems to have characters in it that are not that helpful.
I guess you could push more from most to all.
Its not important how its done, but I do feel that one needs a level that will give the email and web site characters some sense of being righ when editing a file.
There are of course obscure links, and one cannot really do all the characters, but for most uses the characters do need to be there I think, howeve its done. I suppose once some form of dictionary editing is implimented, one can have a custom level which would negate the need for this conversation!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by leonarddr on 2015-02-06 16:51
How about this ticket? We could now change the symbol level in configuration profiles, even just for say all. Could we consider it as fixed?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-02-07 03:57
I think this ticket is more about special casing the pronunciation of email addresses and website addresses, rather than changing the punctuation level based on whether one is doing say all. Brian, is this correct? If so, the summary should be adjusted, as it's pretty unclear at present.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by briang1 on 2015-02-07 09:41
Well it is now. A lot of the issues can be worked round now. However I can now see that there is never going to be a perfect answer to this one due to the way web and email addresses are constructed, with tilde and all sorts of odd characters being used etc. I think maybe closing this one and having a rethink about any enhancement might be less confusing than attempting to explain the current situation.
Since this ticket we also seem to have many strange interactions from the various synths muddying the water, by producing expanded abbreviations inappropriatley

The sap5 and speech platform ones are a pain in this respect.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 19, 2017

@Brian1Gaff, are you looking for something like #1708?

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

As of its complexity I wote for closing as cantfix.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

closing as requested.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants