Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Punctuation when you read per word #1468

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 21, 2011 · 7 comments
Closed

Punctuation when you read per word #1468

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 21, 2011 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by AlexTrial91 on 2011-04-21 15:12
Currently, when you read per word, if symbol level is on "none" or the other new level as "some", when we are trying to read comma and colon NVDA says nothing as if a symbol which doesn't understand and forces user to press left arrow then right arrow to read this or use the NVDA cursor.
It would be wonderful if you could develop an option and yet better if it could be by default in NVDA. This we would permit to read all punctuation per word although the symbol level is on "none" or "some".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-04-21 23:45
I'd argue this is counter-intuitive. The symbol level is meant to be used for all speech, except moving by character, as that is individual symbols. If we start making exceptions, we then have to make users understand what the symbol level is actually used for. Inconsistency is bad for simplicity.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2011-04-22 08:06
I tend to use nvda/p before doing this kind of thing to move around the punctuatuation ring, so to speak, to all. This seems to mostly work, though I'm still playing with the different levels as per ticket 66 etc, and I also have a suspicion that some punctuation gets missed under some circumstances, but that might be finger trouble!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by AlexTrial91 on 2011-04-29 15:19
Sorry for late, I'm a young French man and I want to write a correct english and last week I didn't have any Internet because

I was in my boarding school.
I'm very sorry but I'm not agree with your first reply and my through is so different. Actually, I think users of others

screen reader such as commercials jaws and voiceover or free and opensource orca, and the same for beginner, are very

disconcerted when their screen reader doesn't speak when he wants to take knowledge precisely of the text they are reading.

What's sutpefaction for users who have switched to NVDA when screen reader arrive to punctuations and doesn't speak ? My first

reaction was to believe there had a bug but it's possible... The only solution I found is to switch enter level of

punctuations when I read with say all and when I want read a line per word. But now, with your new option this technical

solution isn't efficient in context of productivity. It's the same when I write, I haven't feedback because I disable speak

type by character but punctuation is the only one, so it's normal that the screen reader speaks that. It's not the debate here

but I could appreciate if you could think at this.
Would you agree asking other people ?
If you are agree, I can ask to Michel Such, who is the french traducer of NVDA, to intervene in the thread.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2011-04-29 16:28
So, if I get this right, you are in effect saying that as cursoring left and right by word, is merely an extension of cursoring left and right by character, it should retain the all punctuation level in this mode, but still revert to the normally set level when going up and down.
I could live with this, and it does sound sort of logical in a way. I bet there are people wanting it either way though.. sigh.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by AlexTrial91 on 2011-05-07 20:24
You understand very well my thought. I would like the developers to accept my resquest.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh The original author of this ticket is now out-of-reach, but he did provide counter-arguments to your initial stand in his follow-ups #1468 (comment) and #1468 (comment). Could you please highlight your present stand on this ticket and triage it accordingly? CC @Brian1Gaff

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 6, 2017

I still think this is counter-intuitive. Obviously, when dealing with characters, reading all symbols is the only thing that makes sense, since otherwise, nothing would be read. However, I don't see why words should be special.

Note that we already read symbols if the word only contains one character and that character is a symbol, since otherwise, we'd report nothing. However, this doesn't work if there are trailing spaces. That's covered by #5133.

Closing as won't fix.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants