Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

installer should check state of Windows Audio service. #1474

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 27, 2011 · 3 comments
Closed

installer should check state of Windows Audio service. #1474

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 27, 2011 · 3 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by challsworth2 on 2011-04-27 12:04
The NVDA installer should check the state of the Windows Audio service. If disabled, start it and set the startup type to automatic if set to manual. This is particularly important for users of server operating systems, like 2008 R2, and they wish to use NVDA. If a commercial screen reader does this, why not NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2011-04-27 15:16
Has anyone else had this as a problem?
Does it only affect servers, or are there times when this is needed on regular pcs?

If the program could check the relevant info, and enable sound, why should it need to be a choice after that. Surely if you are running a screenreader you want it to talk to you.
I might also add that from bitter experience, there can be many reasons why the sound does not work. Dealing as I do with second hand systems, many offices seem to set it off in all sorts of nasty ways like bios or hacks.
I doubt this is a worry for most though!

How hard would this be to do transparently? does it need to reset the machine to do it?
This could be a problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-04-27 20:17
Generally, I feel that intrusive and potentially unwanted changes like this are bad. This is particularly true for a server, where an administrator should carefully consider any change that is made. It's possible that the person installing the software does not want the service to be enabled. For example, they might want to use braille only. In addition, if they were able to start the installer (presumably with sighted assistance or by knowing how to do it blind), it figures that they should be able to enable the service themselves (which can also be done blind). Unless these points can be addressed, I believe we should not introduce this.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jul 18, 2017

Closing as won't fix as per the rationale in #1474 (comment). Server admins should be aware of this fact.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants