Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Hot Key to get line and percent statistics in virtual buffers #1487

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 3, 2011 · 10 comments
Closed

Hot Key to get line and percent statistics in virtual buffers #1487

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 3, 2011 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ianr on 2011-05-03 16:44
Sometimes when I am reading a very large article or tutorial in a web browser I wish I could get some indicator of how far I am in the document. I'd like to be able to press a hot key that tells me what line I am on and how many lines there are in the document and / or what percent complete I am with the document.

Editors usually provide this information via the status bar.

This could be helpful when coming back to a document later and trying to return to where you left off by pressing page down repeatedly.
Or perhaps later a go to line feature could be added.

I could just copy the whole page and paste it into an editor, but this results in me losing the quick navigation keys to jump between headers and the ability to follow links.

Blocked by #4219

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by fatma.mehanna on 2011-06-12 21:20
yes, it is a very helpfull feature specially when reading large books.
there are books consist of several parts and they can't be downloaded, so there's no way but reading them on line. We can't of course copy the whole content of these books and paste them in an editor.
thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by clev on 2012-06-11 13:01
I suggest two distinct features, Perhaps this should be divided into two tickets: first, a "go to line" dialog, which displays the total number of lines in the document and allows us to jump to the desired place. In future versions, it could keep the jump history for each page or web site.

Another feature is a keystroke, or a setting to enable automatically reporting, to tell how many links, headings, frames, etc., there are in the page. This will give us a better idea how to navigate the page once it is loaded.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-07-25 13:58
Hi,
I'd say this is blocked by a recent ticket regarding enhancements to reporting of review cursor location in various places, and yes, it's done in upcoming version. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-07-28 06:24
#4219 reports the percentage of the document before the cursor in browse mode. Are line numbers really needed to satisfy this request? It is very expensive to calculate line numbers for browse mode, which would make this command very slow, particularly in large documents.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by ianr on 2014-07-28 14:26
Sorry, I'd forgotten about this ticket.
I actually use the "percentage checker" addon which tells me number of words but most importantly the percentage.
It works in virtual buffers like Firefox and in multiline textboxes like Notepad++ and Visual Studio 2010.

Line reporting and a go to line or go to percent command could still be useful in virtual buffers, but my major need was fulfilled by the "percentage checker" addon.

I'm not sure about the slowdown for getting line numbers but considering the "percentage checker" addon gets words I expect it is equally as slow, and I never find it slow personally.
It might be worth looking at how the percentage checker addon was implemented.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by ianr on 2014-07-28 14:41
I just realized the percentage checker addon also lets you jump to a percentage if you press it's hot key twice quickly.
I tested and this works in Firefox and Notepad++, it doesn't seem to work right in Visual Studio 2010.
It looks like it's only 105 lines of code, so it shouldn't take too long to see how it was done.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Out of interest, could someone please share the download link of the Percentage Checker add-on being discussed as well as its source code for the benefit of NVDA developers?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 6, 2017

When I did a search for the percentage checker addon, I found this. http://oriolgomez.com/files/percentageChecker.nvda-addon
It is not on the official list of addons but I can confirm that it indeed works. There are some other pretty useful addons on this site as well.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I"m tempted to close this as per #1487 (comment) . I agree that in browse mode, line numbers are probably not very useful

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing now. If this is still an issue, please provide info on what you expect and what's happening instead.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants