Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Tab control in Dropbox Preferences dialog inaccessible #1508

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 17, 2011 · 18 comments
Closed

Tab control in Dropbox Preferences dialog inaccessible #1508

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 17, 2011 · 18 comments
Labels
blocked/needs-external-fix bug close/worksforme p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by KevanGC on 2011-05-17 06:17
You might know what Dropbox is already. It's a file host where you can upload files and share them. The Dropbox client is very accessible, but not in an important area, the Dropbox Preferences dialog.

STR:
1: Make sure Dropbox is running.
2: Go into the system tray, right-click the Dropbox icon, and open preferences.
3: Arrow around. You'll find the screen pretty much accessible, however there are multiple other screens you won't be able to switch to, because the "buttonPanel" Dropbox uses to switch tabs is not accessible to NVDA.

You can switch to these screens by moving around inside the buttonPanel with the mouse and clicking, however this is difficult because NVDA gives no feedback about the buttonPanel, other than it's a buttonPanel.

Can you get NVDA working with it? Or is it Dropbox's fault? If it is, I can try contacting Dropbox and asking them to fix it.

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Bernd on 2012-06-11 22:10
The preferences are accessible now with Version 1.4.7. Dropbox has to make the tap panel accessible. I couldn't switch the tab using object navigation so I think this is a bug on Dropbox side.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-06-12 00:53
Ideally, Dropbox should make this control properly accessible. That said, I'm not sure why our display model can't see the text in this control.

A work around is to use the OCR plugin on this object.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA not working in Dropbox Preferences dialog" to "Tab control in Dropbox Preferences dialog inaccessible"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment dropbox.zip added by k_kolev1985 on 2012-06-12 07:02
Description:
NVDA app module for DropBox's preferences window

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by k_kolev1985 on 2012-06-12 07:11
Hello,

Actually, there is a NVDA app module for DropBox's preferences window. It helps to switch between tabs with Control+TAB and Control+Shift+TAB. Control+Alt+T reports the currently selected TAB and Escape closes the dialog without saving the changes (like pressing the "Cancel" button).

I've attached the app module here in a .zip archive. Unzip it in your NVDA user configuration directory, in the "appModules" subdirectory. Then press NVDA+Control+F3 to reload the NVDA plugins or if this does not work - restart NVDA.

The plugin is save to use and works as it should if your copy of DropBox is set to display its interface in english. I can't remember who the developer is. I just modified the plugin to work with the english version of DropBox (initially was adapted to work only if DropBox is in spanish or portuguese).

I know that the DropBox team should fix those issues internally, but this NVDA app module for it should simplify matters until they do it.

HTH

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2012-06-12 07:58
I assume this is not yet packaged for the new add on manager?

also there was a dropbox update only two days ago here but the old bug still exists as far as I can tell.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 on 2012-06-12 08:16
No, it is not. But after that I looked on the italian site from witch I got this plugin and found that there is a new version witch is adapted to work with the new NVDA add-on system. I'm attaching it here. I have adapted it to work with the english version of DropBox.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment dropboxplugin.nvda-addon added by k_kolev1985 on 2012-06-12 08:19
Description:
NVDA addon for DropBox's preferences window.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 (in reply to comment 5) on 2012-06-12 08:22
Replying to k_kolev1985:

No, it is not. But after that I looked on the italian site from witch I got this plugin and found that there is a new version witch is adapted to work with the new NVDA add-on system. I'm attaching it here. I have adapted it to work with the english version of DropBox.

Edit: this addon includes also the global plugin witch reports the status of DropBox and can invoke the DropBox main context menu (the one from the system tray). Pressing NVDA+Shift+D will report the DropBox status, pressing it twice will say the currently installed version of DropBox and three times will bring up the DropBox main context menu.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by clev on 2012-10-08 12:35
To the Dropbox Add-on author: Firstly, thank you for such good work. When possible, please make the Dropbox selective sync window accessible as well. I would highly apreciate this, for personal needs. Many thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2013-01-08 08:28
7920501 allows NVDA's display model to see the text in this tab panel, which means you can now use the review cursor and click the various tabs. An add-on is still needed if you want keyboard shortcuts to work to switch tabs.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by briang1 on 2013-01-09 07:57
There are other pieces of software where the tabs are hard to get to without driectly driving the focus there , ie it does not appear in the tab order, notably autoruns, and malwarebytes.

The latter has list display issues of course as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by nvdakor on 2014-12-13 03:12
Hi,
With recent thread about Dropbox on the users list, could we have Dropbox users comment on this ticket and see if the issue persists? People over at the users list say it still persists.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by briang1 on 2014-12-13 09:11
OK ,I'll start.
version 2.xx has this issue on most versions of Windows with non use of the add on.
Version 3 which seems to be being rolled out now, works more or less in Windows 7, but often needs the add on to change tabs. In my machine is very flaky indeed.
On Xp the latest update is crashing dropbox when you attempt to open preferences via the add on. It either locks up, or gives the old if you were in the middle of something error, and then one cannot use dropbox unless you restart it

I think someone needs to have a word with dropbox, as anything that is flakey needs to be sorted before we go and try to get it to work with nvda.

I did attempt on an xp machine, to update an older version to the new one manually, but it failed with dropbox installer encountered an error and has to stop hit cancel. Then its still the old version.

So far only one xp machine has had its dropbox updated to version 3.
So I do not think nvda is at fault here, as the original ticket said, it needs an external fix for the preferences to work reliably on any version of windows with a screenreader.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 5, 2017

In Dropbox 29.4.20 the tab controls are operable, but NVDA doesn't follow the focus when it moves onto the tabs bar.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 6, 2017

I did some brief investigation. Dropbox doesn't fire a focus event (or any other event for that matter) on the tab control when it gains focus; e.g. when you tab to it. However, it does fire a stateChange event on the control that just lost focus. Also, activeChild on the dialog does return the tab control. So, it should be possible to come up with an app module that works around this. Of course, it'd be better to get this addressed in Dropbox and/or Qt5.

P3 because Dropbox is quite commonly used. There is a workaround (press left/right arrow once you tab and get nothing), but this is very hard to discover.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 6, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This issue is fixed in Dropbox 73.4.118. Closing as works for me. If you are still seeing this issue in Dropbox 73.4.118 or newer versions, please comment on this to reopen the discussion or create a new issue accordingly. Thanks.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Jun 1, 2019 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Jun 1, 2019 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
blocked/needs-external-fix bug close/worksforme p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants