Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Opening Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) 2008 Express Edition causes NVDA to stop responding #1528

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 26, 2011 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ianr on 2011-05-26 17:57
When I open SSMS while NVDA is running NVDA stops speaking.
My current workaround is to get ready to open SSMS, close NVDA, then open SSMS and restart NVDA.

I will attach a log file.

Blocked by #1408

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by ianr on 2011-05-26 17:59
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment without braille display nvda.log added by ianr on 2011-05-26 18:07
Description:
This log is from a fresh nvda start with my braille display detached to show that my braille display is not causing the freeze.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-05-26 22:15
Surprise surprise. Another freeze in isUIAWindow.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-05-26 22:19
Is this app free or paid? If paid, we're unfortunately not going to be able to debug this specific case.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ianr on 2011-05-26 22:35
This application is free and can be downloaded at this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=08e52ac2-1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b
Ticket #912 also refers to this application.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ianr on 2011-05-26 22:44
This differs a little from ticket 1408 as in 1408 nvda is affected because the other application is not responding. In this application the application continues to respond normally, but nvda stops responding.

If these are problems with UI Automation and you have reported them to Microsoft is there any way users can show their support for Microsoft to fix UIA? ie. a Microsoft ticket we can comment on or anything?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2011-05-26 23:02
The only reason I know of that isUIAWindow might freeze is if a window stops responding. Note that it doesn't have to be the whole application; it could just be one window. Sometimes, applications seem to create unresponsive windows and then hide them, even though they really shouldn't. I'd have to debug further to know. If this is the case, technically, it's a bug in the application, though the function should at least time out or something. Anyway, it is related to #1408, even if the symptoms seem different.

We haven't formally reported these issues to Microsoft because they're very difficult to reproduce outside of very specific circumstances (including running a screen reader) and I suspect Microsoft aren't particularly interested in testing with NVDA. Also, we've been told on other occasions that the chances of getting an accessibility related fix into an earlier version of software is highly unlikely and it would cost us money just to file the issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2011-09-05 10:37
Can you please confirm whether this is fixed by 7366dee? (A snapshot for this should be available in about 23 hours.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by ianr on 2011-09-07 03:09
I tested with snapshot 4634 and the problem is fixed. Thanks very much!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2011-09-07 07:11
See comment:7.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2011.3
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant