Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Losing Focus When Using Browse Mode #1544

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 2, 2011 · 5 comments
Closed

Losing Focus When Using Browse Mode #1544

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 2, 2011 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by parham on 2011-06-02 05:36
When in browse mode and moving quickly (using either a quick-access key such as k, or moving with up/down), sometimes NVDA returns focus back to a previous item even though it was four or five lines (usually less) above the current focus.
Blocked by #2039

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-06-02 06:29
This is due to controls receiving focus after you've already passed them, in which case NVDA won't silence the focus because the virtual cursor is somewhere else. I've never really been able to come up with a solution to this. It depends heavily on how fast the browser responds to focus requests.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by parham on 2011-06-02 08:07
Ah. So I take it that as the user is browsing, focus requests are being passed to the browser? In that case, is it possible to request focus at certain times (E.G. when routing the mouse cursor to the current element, or turning on focus mode, or pressing enter)? I think doing it this way would also eliminate the need to have two checkboxes in the "Browse Mode" options about turning on focus mode.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2011-06-02 08:18
Replying to parham:

So I take it that as the user is browsing, focus requests are being passed to the browser?

Correct.

In that case, is it possible to request focus at certain times (E.G. when routing the mouse cursor to the current element, or turning on focus mode, or pressing enter)?

No. If we did this, we'd have to special case every browser command that operates on the focused element; e.g. enter, ctrl+enter, shift+enter, applications key, shift+f10, etc. This is just ugly and doesn't take into account new browser commands or extensions.

I think doing it this way would also eliminate the need to have two checkboxes in the "Browse Mode" options about turning on focus mode.

This is entirely unrelated. Some people want NVDA to switch to focus mode when moving the browse mode cursor, but most people do not. However, almost everyone wants it to switch to focus mode for focus changes. This is why these two options are separate.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by parham (in reply to comment 3) on 2011-06-02 08:44
Replying to jteh:

This is entirely unrelated. Some people want NVDA to switch to focus mode when moving the browse mode cursor, but most people do not. However, almost everyone wants it to switch to focus mode for focus changes. This is why these two options are separate.

Ah. My bad. I thought this "focus" request was what was causing the issue with focus mode (#1485, and #1439).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-12-21 22:27
Pretty much a duplicate of #2039; at least, the solution for that one (if we can come up with something decent) should solve this one too.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant