Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Repeated exceptions when active braille display is disconnected #1555

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 8, 2011 · 10 comments
Closed

Repeated exceptions when active braille display is disconnected #1555

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 8, 2011 · 10 comments
Assignees
Labels
bug component/braille p2 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ianr on 2011-06-08 20:16
My log file was 282 megs. It seemed to be filled with this error which happened multiple times per second over a 16 hour period.

I only looked at the log file because NVDA crashed, not sure if that is related to this error filling up the log file or not.

I should note that I hibernate my laptop to bring it home and then hibernate again to take it back to work. .
It is possible this error started firing when I took the laptop home without the braille display attached.

Can this error be fixed or can it change behavior so that after firing it stops whatever behavior is occurring that makes it continuously fire?

I will attach the last few pages from my log file.

Blocked by #1271

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by ianr on 2011-06-08 20:18
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-06-08 21:25
NVDA can't currently gracefully handle detaching a braille display. You need to manually set NVDA to "No braille" to stop these errors (or restart NVDA).
Changes:
Changed title from "SerialException: call to ClearCommError failed" to "Repeated exceptions when active braille display is disconnected"
Milestone changed from None to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-06-09 07:06
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2011.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-10-11 03:33
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.3 to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-11-29 07:29
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to next

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2013-11-29 08:30
In [c66d82a]:

If NVDA is unable to communicate with a braille display (e.g. because it has been disconnected), it will automatically disable use of the display.

This eliminates problems such as excessive log file size and lag when this occurs.
Re #1555.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2013-11-29 08:30
In [aed6685]:

Merge branch 't1555' into next

Incubates #1555.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2013-12-16 06:32
I'm going to change the way this works slightly based on things learned while doing #1271. It will most likely be committed as part of t1271.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2013-12-23 08:57
As per comment:8, this is now incorporated into #1271. I've removed the incubation from next.
Changes:
Removed labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by bdorer on 2014-12-14 20:25
hmm, it seams you aren't working on #2171 so may you could commit the fix to next?

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the next milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the next milestone Jun 24, 2016
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Jul 1, 2016
… it has been disconnected), it will automatically disable use of the display.

This eliminates problems such as excessive log file size and lag when this occurs.
Fixes #1555.
@jcsteh jcsteh added this to the 2016.3 milestone Jul 1, 2016
@jcsteh jcsteh added the p2 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 1, 2016
michaelDCurran pushed a commit that referenced this issue Jul 24, 2016
… it has been disconnected), it will automatically disable use of the display. (#6128)

Fixes #1555.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/braille p2 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants