Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA sometimes seems to miss entering spaces in typed text when "Announce formatting changes after the cursor" setting is enabled #1561

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 12, 2011 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Palacee_hun on 2011-06-12 18:21
I am a fast and quite accurate typist usually typing approx 150-300 chars/minute. Some months ago, when I began heavy text editings with NVDA, I noticed that spaces sometimes missed from my typed texts. First I attributed this to my eventual carelessness. But this kept on recurring and goes on to this very day. It even occurred nearly an hour ago when I composed my previous ticket. I have to double or triple check my important texts because of this. I can't say this is frequent, but I may not call it rare either.
I have done wast amounts of text composing and editing on various machines with other screen readers, most of them were much slower than my recent machine, among them were Pentium II class machines too. I have never ever had this sort of problem then, so after many many missing and hand-corrected spaces I began suspecting NVDA. That's why I report this. After all NVDA does a handful of special processing for the Space key, so there might lie the cause of this problem. I have excludedkeyboard defects as never has an other key ever been missed.

It's naturally hard to reproduce and investigate this, but you may try to type texts into edit boxes on webpages (like Gmail composing forms) or into MS Word 2003 Pro at the speeds close to mine, these are the ones I use most often, but this problem does not seem to be application-specific. I can't recall which was the first NVDA version with I noticed this problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-06-12 23:45
We don't do any special processing of the space key anywhere outside of browse mode (where you can't edit anyway), so if this is indeed an NVDA issue, it can't be specific to the space key. Even so, I can't see how NVDA could cause this, as we pass keys straight through to the operating system unless there are scripts bound to them (and as I say, this isn't true for space). I'm also a fast typist and have never seen this. Leaving open in case anyone else has useful feedback.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2011-06-13 00:17
What web browser are you using?
Are you using NVDA with a braille display:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Palacee_hun (in reply to comment 2) on 2011-06-13 07:14
Firefox 3.6.17
No, I don't have a braille display, I use built-in Espeak synth.
My op. system is Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit with Hungarian localization.

Replying to mdcurran:

What web browser are you using?

Are you using NVDA with a braille display:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2011-06-14 08:11
Just a thought, I assume you have the words option on in the gui, not letters or letters and words?

Just wondering if it might be a processor related thing that was all. I don't type fast enough or accurately enough to tell if this is an issue, but a friend said he had thought this was going on, but was not really sure yet.
If the machine is single processor with small ram etc, I guess it might push it over the edge, but it sounds a bit unlikely to me.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Palacee_hun (in reply to comment 4) on 2011-06-14 12:36
I always use "say typed characters" and never use "say typed words".
I find the CPU overload issue highly unlikely, almost impossible. NVDA is extremely responsive on my computer in every aspect possible. It says each typed char at my typing speed, or at least part of their sound because of silencing. Furthermore if this had something to do with the CPU, then NVDA should miss other chars too, which it doesn't do fortunately.
My computer has an AMD 3200+ CPU (32-bit single core, 1.81 Ghz clock speed) and 512 megs of Ram. As far as I know Windows XP Home is the least resource hungry among the systems supported by NVDA.

Replying to briang1:

Just a thought, I assume you have the words option on in the gui, not letters or letters and words?

Just wondering if it might be a processor related thing that was all. I don't type fast enough or accurately enough to tell if this is an issue, but a friend said he had thought this was going on, but was not really sure yet.

If the machine is single processor with small ram etc, I guess it might push it over the edge, but it sounds a bit unlikely to me.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 on 2011-06-14 17:22
Well, I can out type a 1.5 gig machine with half a gig of ram myself, but whether this has anything to do with nvda is debatable. Generally it is spacces that get zapped, but I've never actually looked to see if its other things as well and spaces just seem more obvious.

I'd always suggest 1 gig if you are a very fast typist myself, but whether this is just other things running hog memory and upset the feedback making you make errors I don't know. Nobody else has come on this ticket and said they can get what you get though.

The main things I find cause typing problems seem to be programs that do updates without telling you!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by Ahiiron on 2011-06-14 17:40
Hi,

I think it's just the machine specs/a hardware issue. On my netbook (1gb of RAM and a single core 1.6 gHz processor), I'd lose spaces and letters all the time, I can tribute some of this to my sloppy typing, but it was most noticable on this machine. On my quad core Win7 machine, no such behavior exists, both running NVDA and other AT products. In short, I doubt that this is NVDA doing this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by Palacee_hun on 2011-06-28 14:55
Recently I noticed that I had previously enabled "Announce formatting changes after the cursor" setting in document formatting settings when proofreading a Word document and I forgot this afterwards. I test NVDA 2011.2 beta1 portable nowadays, and I have copied the installed 2011.1.1 settings to it, so this setting has been enabled there too. I have disabled this setting in both versions, and haven't noticed any missing spaces since. So I may have spotted the cause of the missing spaces. This seems reasonable as the dialog states that enabling that setting can cause a lag.

somebody out there who reads this, please test fast typing with "say typed chars" and "announce formatting changes after the cursor" both enabled. If this reproduces this missing spaces issue, then I am on the right track. In that case I wonder what can be done besides adding the extra warning to the document formatting settings dialog that enabling that setting can not only cause a lag but missing spaces (or other chars on other machines???) as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Palacee_hun on 2011-06-29 11:50
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA sometimes seems to miss entering spaces in typed text when typing fast" to "NVDA sometimes seems to miss entering spaces in typed text when "Announce formatting changes after the cursor" setting is enabled"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Aug 4, 2017

I am unable to replicate the reported issue with NVDA 2017.2 on a fairly powerful machine endowed with an I5 processor and 8 gb RAM. I tested this report by enabling the relevant setting, typing at 300-400 CPM in two or three breaks for a couple of minutes, and the text appeared properly spaced in all cases. Since we have no means of contacting Palacee_hun for additional diagnosis, I recommend closing this ticket as worksforme. @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 4, 2017

Closing because of the reasoning in #1561 (comment) and the findings in #1561 (comment).

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants