Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA is not reading a complete word #1570

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 16, 2011 · 6 comments
Closed

NVDA is not reading a complete word #1570

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 16, 2011 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by shobana on 2011-06-16 06:21
I am using open office 2.0 writer localized for Malayalam language (India) .when I type a words and press ctrl+right or left keys to read word by word ,it is reading only sub words ( words are split with vowel signs)not the complete word but when I press ctrl+down key to read a line ,it is reading perfectly..

Note : accessbridge2_0_2 is used.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-06-16 06:29
!OpenOffice.org 2.0 is fairly old. Have you tried with the most recent version?

Please elaborate as to what you mean by "reading only some words". Please provide an example, including steps to reproduce, what you expected and what happened instead.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by shobana on 2011-06-16 06:57

Have you tried with the most recent version?

No

Please elaborate as to what you mean by "reading only some words".

not "reading only some words". reading only sub words...
for example when I type ആപ്പിള്( character + character +vowel sign+character+vowelsign +character+ vowel sign ) but reads only അപ (character + character)
but when ctrl+down arrow is used (to read as a line) it reads perfectly.....

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2011-06-16 09:02
Sorry about my misreading of "sub words". :) I understand now.

The problem is that Java Access Bridge doesn't implement a way to determine word boundaries (yet another major deficiency in JAB and thereby OOo accessibility), so we have to use our own algorithm to guess. Our own algorithm breaks words on non-alphanumeric characters (as we want to break on punctuation characters, etc.) and it seems that Unicode doesn't treat vowel signs as alphanumeric. We might be able to improve this, but we'd have to come up with something that still breaks on punctuation. Perhaps we could use Unicode categories.

Btw, in general, you should always test with the latest versions of software, especially when that software is free. We cannot continue to support old versions forever. In this case, however, it won't make a difference.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2011-06-16 09:25
I would advise a few things here I think, having had dealings with Open Office, albeit in English. firstly, 2010.1beta1 of nvda is old, and the current version does work better, ie 2011.1.1. Also, do you really mean that : accessbridge2_0_2 is used, as I was under the impression this is very new and not supported properly in nvda yet,I'm sure James will correct me if I got this wrong! I am still using accessbridge-2_0_1.exe here, and making sure I do a repair if I update java runtime.

When installing new versions of Open Office I've always found it best to clear out the old and install the new, including the patch to the registry. I'm not totally up to date for this reason myself.

James seems to have found the problem so I'll notsay any more here.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 15, 2017

Open Office is discontinued acording to Wikipedia. Unless there are other things addressed in this issue that I am missing, I think it can be closed.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

closing, as per this now being IAccessible2, it probably works (We don't need jab anymore).

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants