Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Emoticons, Don't Speak, but instead punctuations/symbols #1608

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 25, 2011 · 9 comments
Closed

Emoticons, Don't Speak, but instead punctuations/symbols #1608

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 25, 2011 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by kevinchao89 on 2011-06-25 18:06
Windows XP and 7
2011.2 beta and Snapshot 4503

Before (2011.1.1 and earlier), it would say smilie for :) frown for :(
Now it just says the punctuation/symbol marks,

Applies to all other emoticons, as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Ahiiron on 2011-06-25 18:44
What synth does this? I don't ever recall espeak doing this, though I might be wrong on other synths.

Either way, one can setup user dictionary rules for these symbols.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2011-06-25 22:58
I think we need to hear where these emoticons are that are being described. Chat programs often use their own and I noted the other day some websites do also. None have ever spoken to my knowledge in espeak, but I think some of the sapi 5 voices have some kind of read ahead that lets them do this.
If its the ones mentioned made just of punctuation symbols, then I'd imagine the dictionaries could help here. This is anothe ramification of not letting the synth do its thing with punctuation. You seem to need some kind of filter with some synths and to create rules in dictionaries for others.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-04-29 00:02
Hi,
For anyone interested in this ticket, please take a look at the following add-on:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/emoticons.en.html

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 16, 2017

This sounds like it can be resolved with the Emoticons addon or with user dictionary rules. Also, some websites and programs have their own versions of the symbols that read correctly. (Skype and Facebook, for example)

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh or @feerrenrut any idea if this is a close because of the addon, or a p4/p3?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 16, 2017

Speaking of Emoji is definitely in scope (covered by #6523). Emoticons are a bit more risky because they can match combinations of symbols which appear elsewhere. @michaelDCurran, thoughts?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 17, 2017

Possibly related issues: #909, #3530

@bhavyashah
Copy link

As requested by @jcsteh in #1608 (comment), @michaelDCurran, thoughts? Just a gentle reminder in case that comment got inadvertently skipped earlier.

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

I don't think we need to support Emoticons as it is possible to understand them as punctuation symbols. Also, an add-on exists for this already. Emoji on the other hand needs to be supported directly.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants