Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add the ability for NVDA to speak a certain number of previously spoken phrases #1609

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 25, 2011 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2011-06-25 18:14
This is an idea that I've had for a while now, and something that I don't think any other screen readers currently have the ability to do.

I think that it could be useful for NVDA to speak previously-spoken text. A good example of when this could be useful is when a user misses a Help Baloon, Tooltip, etc and that particular piece of text can not be reviewed.

If this were to be implimented, as a starting point, a combination of the NVDA, CTRL, and a number from 1-0 could be used - in theery, this could allow NVDA to speak the previous ten strings. I realise that in order for this to be achieved the last couple of spoken phrases would have to be stored on-the-fly and removed on exit, so not sure if this could potentially lead to any performence decredations.

Just an idea that I thought could be useful.
Blocking #4323

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Ahiiron on 2011-06-25 18:39
I think for this to work and still be snappy and such, it should only buffer the last 5 or so non-user invoked speech strings. That is, if you do a Say Line, NVDA should just speak the text without buffering it in the recently spoken strings list.. If, however, a event triggers this speech, it should be buffered.
I just wonder how much this would degrade performance with the constant updating and deleting of spoken text. Good idea though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2011-07-01 17:39
Perhaps it should just buffer the text in a kink of scratchpad and these should be cursorable through, with a description of what generated them. Could be useful for troubleshooting.
One of the main problems with some interactions are.

1. the message gets replaced by another one too fast. Very likely to happen with multiple tasks runnig.
    2 bubble balloon thingies. Most annoying.

3 Installers that flsh tings up so fast you just get a stuttered few sylables!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by m11chen on 2011-07-02 03:27
Just a thought, but doesn't the log already store the previously spoken text when level is set to input/output, so it wouldn't be too hard to access these previous speech outputs?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Agent Golder on 2014-11-14 13:08
Can you please implement it?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 1, 2017

@elliott94, this is now possible with the Speech History addon. I do not know if this will become a core feature of NVDA though. Is this what you were looking for?

@elliott94
Copy link

This is exactly what I was looking for. :) Thank you, happy for this to be closed.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 6, 2017

Closing because of #1609 (comment).

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Aug 6, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants