Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Currencies incorrectly read if a letter is positioned streight after #1615

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 27, 2011 · 9 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2011-06-27 17:14
Since the reading of currencies has recently been fixed, I thought it'd be useful to note another problem that can be experienced.

If a letter comes straight after a currency, it is incorrectly read. For example, £15.59 reads fine, but £15.21doesn't.

I'm unclear at this time if it can be fixed with a dictionary entry in combination with a regular expression, but if not I'm not really sure what can be done at the users end; I assume this will have to be changed code-side.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2011-06-27 23:32
Can you give a better example of where this really affects you? I'm sure there is one, but its unclear from your previous example. As in, where did you see this in the real world that made you notice the problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-06-28 03:22
I don't think this is an NVDA issue, as we don't insert spaces or the like after numbers. If I understand correctly, this is related to the specific synth you are using.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 2) on 2011-06-28 06:56
Replying to jteh:

I don't think this is an NVDA issue, as we don't insert spaces or the like after numbers. If I understand correctly, this is related to the specific synth you are using.

When using ESpeak, this behaviour can be seen. An example of this is on ebuyer.com, where prices are listed without any spaces inbetween.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by MHameed on 2012-10-09 06:28
Does this problem still persist for you with newer versions of espeak?

You might want to download latest sapi5 compatible development version of espeak and see if the problem still happens there.
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/test/latest.html

If so then the fix belongs in espeak.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 4) on 2012-10-09 06:58
Replying to MHameed:

Does this problem still persist for you with newer versions of espeak?

No, I can still see this particular issue. It doesn't just occur with eSpeak, however. The example that I gave above still gives the same speech output.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-10-09 07:05
What speech output? I don't hear any difference between the two cases given in the description of this ticket with eSpeak.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-10-09 13:57
Replying to jteh:

What speech output? I don't hear any difference between the two cases given in the description of this ticket with eSpeak.

Basically, £15.21 would read as "fifteen Pounds and twenty one pence". However, something like £15.21 with a letter positioned straight after it would read as "Pounds fifteen point two one", if that makes sense.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2012-10-09 21:49
As I said, this is an issue with the synth. I still can't get this to happen with eSpeak, though. It always just says pound fifteen point two one.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 3, 2017

I am experiencing the same results as @jcsteh in #1615 (comment) with no dictionary entries using the latest ESpeak NG. Closing

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants