Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

disable screen saver while NVDA is reading longer pages #1617

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 27, 2011 · 7 comments
Closed

disable screen saver while NVDA is reading longer pages #1617

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 27, 2011 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by cardsfan22 on 2011-06-27 22:41
Other than disabling the screen saver, is there a way to have the screen scroll while NVDA is reading a longer website or document? This would prevent the screen saver from popping up and interrupting the reading. This would come in handy for reading books online or lengthy documents. Thank you for your continued dedication.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-06-28 03:15
Unfortunately, programmatically scrolling the screen won't stop the screen saver from appearing.

Is the primary request here to stop the screen saver from appearing during say all or to scroll the screen during say all? If the former, the summary should be changed accordingly. If the latter, NVDA should already scroll the screen in most places, except perhaps in browse mode (e.g. on the web). I assume you're referring to web documents specifically?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by cardsfan22 on 2011-06-28 03:45
I am talking about disabling the screen saver but I wasn't sure how best to articulate the matter and yes, I am referring to web documents in particular.
Changes:
Changed title from "Scroll screen while NVDA is reading" to "disable screen saver while NVDA is reading longer pages"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Since cardsfan22 has answered your initial questions in #1617 (comment), could you please triage this ticket?

@jcsteh jcsteh added the feature label Aug 7, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This will impact performance since the screen has to scroll in web documents which can cause lags. Especially in webpages with dynamic web content.

Screen safer can be disabled in Windows, in most cases in energy settings. If someone implements this function though, this needs thorough testing on different systems.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

But I would prefer to disable screen safer in Windows rather than having performance issues on complex websites.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LeonarddeR I recall that you submited a PR to solve something like this, I think it was related to braille but maybe it fixed also this issue. Can you confirm?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing this in favor of #14036 which is newer and requests the same feature.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants