Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Consider the addition of a NVDA shortcut key, to present further information. #1648

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 5, 2011 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by MHameed on 2011-07-05 11:10
in several places a user may wish to get information that is not presented by the normal navigation mode, or reduce the information given and have it optional.

For example:

The above are just a few examples of additional information that the user may need.

NVDA already presents some of this information when the user navigates, but some people perceive that it can be "too chatty" at times and want this information upon request.

By reducing the standard information being presented, they will feel that nvda is quick and they can achieve their tasks quickly, while still having access to the additional information whenever they require it.

This also means that we dont have to introduce various shortcut keys for reading bits of information.

People using orca would recognize this as the 'where am I' key, I think the Mac screenreader also has a similar function but not sure.

Thanks for your consideration.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-07-05 11:19
Note that we already report extra info when the user presses report focus (NVDA+tab) or report current navigator object (NVDA+numpad5). For example, we don't speak read-only for documents by default, but we do if you press NVDA+tab. Some of this additional info could be spoken here. This probably doesn't fit for radio group labels or cell info, though, as this info is not part of the current object but is rather part of ancestor objects.

We've been considering introducing a command to report the focus "context"; i.e. the ancestors of the focus. This would speak groupings, table cells, dialogs, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by orcauser on 2011-07-05 11:44
Yes, indeed both nvda+tab and numpad5 are useful in what they do, but i see this request as part of the work that needs doing before we can proceed on #46 (speech verbosity levels)
Since the user still has access to needed information by pressing one shortcut key, even if they have minimal verbosity.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-07-05 11:50
To clarify, i was proposing that some of the additional info you request be spoken by NVDA+tab and NVDA+numpad5. I wasn't trying to suggest that the information already spoken is sufficient alone.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by orcauser on 2011-07-05 12:06
Adding information there is fine, it is the reduction of chattyness that is the goal.
The default should probably remain the same, but if the person selects 'brief', then they should get that, and any additional info should be provided through the keystrokes above.
to clarify, this ticket is simply about adding the information in the right place before removing it from elsewhere.

Thanks.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh In #1648 (comment), you had mentioned that something of the like was being considered back then. Could you please update us with your present thoughts on this ticket?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

Since then, the report location command (NVDA+numpadDelete/NVDA+delete) has been extended to report some context specific info where appropriate. That will probably be extended further still for various situations. I tend to think the report current object commands (NVDA+tab and NVDA+numpad5) plus the report location command are enough to cover various scenarios, but those scenarios should be addressed as separate cases. Closing.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants