Opened 3 years ago

Last modified 15 months ago

#1648 new enhancement

Consider the addition of a NVDA shortcut key, to present further information.

Reported by: MHameed Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Speech Version: master
Keywords: Cc: shamse1@gmail.com, ianr11@gmail.com
Operating system: Blocked by:
Blocking:
Changes document entry (for developers):

Description

in several places a user may wish to get information that is not presented by the normal navigation mode, or reduce the information given and have it optional.

For example:

• in lists: "item 3 of 5"
  • in tables: "row 5 column 3" (briefly discussed in #719)
  • context sensative additional info for controls: "multi line edit, line 500 of 1000" (#1480)
  • for radio buttons, the radio button group label
  • application specific additional info such as duration of track (#727)
  • announcement of read only fields (#1436)

The above are just a few examples of additional information that the user may need.

NVDA already presents some of this information when the user navigates, but some people perceive that it can be "too chatty" at times and want this information upon request.

By reducing the standard information being presented, they will feel that nvda is quick and they can achieve their tasks quickly, while still having access to the additional information whenever they require it.

This also means that we dont have to introduce various shortcut keys for reading bits of information.

People using orca would recognize this as the 'where am I' key, I think the Mac screenreader also has a similar function but not sure.

Thanks for your consideration.

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by jteh

Note that we already report extra info when the user presses report focus (NVDA+tab) or report current navigator object (NVDA+numpad5). For example, we don't speak read-only for documents by default, but we do if you press NVDA+tab. Some of this additional info could be spoken here. This probably doesn't fit for radio group labels or cell info, though, as this info is not part of the current object but is rather part of ancestor objects.

We've been considering introducing a command to report the focus "context"; i.e. the ancestors of the focus. This would speak groupings, table cells, dialogs, etc.

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by orcauser

Yes, indeed both nvda+tab and numpad5 are useful in what they do, but i see this request as part of the work that needs doing before we can proceed on #46 (speech verbosity levels)
Since the user still has access to needed information by pressing one shortcut key, even if they have minimal verbosity.

Thanks.

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by jteh

To clarify, i was proposing that some of the additional info you request be spoken by NVDA+tab and NVDA+numpad5. I wasn't trying to suggest that the information already spoken is sufficient alone.

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by Shaimaa

• Cc shamse1@gmail.com added

comment:5 Changed 3 years ago by orcauser

Adding information there is fine, it is the reduction of chattyness that is the goal.
The default should probably remain the same, but if the person selects 'brief', then they should get that, and any additional info should be provided through the keystrokes above.
to clarify, this ticket is simply about adding the information in the right place before removing it from elsewhere.

Thanks.

comment:6 Changed 3 years ago by ianr

• Cc ianr11@gmail.com added

comment:7 Changed 15 months ago by MHameed

• Reporter changed from orcauser to MHameed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.