Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not recognise different styles of lists on the internet, particularly those styled with css #1671

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 14, 2011 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ashleycox on 2011-07-14 18:23
When viewing a website that has a list, using the html

, and
      tags, NVDA doesn't seam to recognise the list styles defined in the css sheet for these lists. for example, on my own site http://www.ashleycox.co.uk, the 2 navigation lists have the 'list-style:none; propety set, however NVDA still reads the lists as bullited lists.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-07-14 21:18
What browser are you testing with?

If you use an ul or ol tag, you are semantically defining a list even if you style it differently, so NVDA will always report that it is a list. However, at least in Firefox, NVDA should not report bullets if there are no bullets. This doesn't work in IE, though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ashleycox (in reply to comment description) on 2011-07-15 09:19
Replying to ashleycox:

When viewing a website that has a list, using the html

, and
      tags, NVDA doesn't seam to recognise the list styles defined in the css sheet for these lists. for example, on my own site http://www.ashleycox.co.uk, the 2 navigation lists have the 'list-style:none; propety set, however NVDA still reads the lists as bullited lists.

Using IE9 and google chrome

This does need to be addressed in IE9, as in windows 8 certian applications and gadgets will be written in html and javascript, and run using the IE engine; these will undoubtedly have unstyled lists in them.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2011-07-18 22:08
I agree this is an important bug. However, it seems that in MSHTML (IE etc) that a HTML node (COM object)'s currentStyle.listStyleType is never calculated correctly and is always none, even if its supposed to be something like alpha or roman or numeric (what ever that is called). I shall investigate more again soon. But this has been a known bug for a while.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2011.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2011-07-26 04:04
The main issue is fixed in 0442eea. List-style-type is now honored at least as far as its either bulleted, enumerated or none. Support for specific enumerations (decimal, alpha, latin etc is harder as the values would have to be hard-coded I believe as MSHTML can not tell you the current value, so these are still shown just using decimal).
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant