Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Support for Java web applets #168

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 6 comments
Closed

Support for Java web applets #168

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by tbd on 2008-09-09 14:05
I'm having trouble with other screenreaders and Java aplets on the internet when using online bancking. NVDA needs Java support then I could use it for almost everything I need when browsing the web. Will this bee possible one day?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by pvagner on 2008-09-09 16:11
Just a little note to add. NVDA already has some support for java applications. It uses java access bridge.
I have tryed a few java applets just for test and it seems all of those I have tryed so far can't be navigated using keyboard. However by using object navigation I am able to see the contents.
If we'd like to do this properly perhaps this will require a bit of cooperationwith browser and / or java developers.
Actually I have never seen java application which can really be fully accessible using any screen reader under windows. I am afraid even if we have great interface - meaning java access bridge there are many different implementations which don't follow it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by tbd (in reply to comment description) on 2008-09-11 17:49
Hello!

I just tried to use object-navigation in the aplet which I'm having trouble
with.
I have to select a user-id in a box and the only thing NVDA said was:
Unknown java object.

Can I send you the URL to the page so you can try it out yourself?

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that NVDA supported Java.
Sorry!
My address is:
tbd@coolfortheblind.dk
maybe you can tell me how to do this right...?

Best regards
Thomas

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2008-12-05 02:57
Please do send the URL to the page in question.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA needs support for Java" to "Support for Java web applets"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2010-05-10 07:25
Any chance of that URL being added to this ticket?
In fact, URLs to any java applet on the web would be great.
The more the better.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

NVDA has proper JAVA support, and Java applets on the web are very rare nowadays. What to do with this? Is a won't fix justifiable?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 13, 2017

I'm pretty sure we've seen this working with at least one Java applet. However, of the very few Java applets still in use in the wild, I'll wager very few of them are actually accessible. Also, Firefox 52 and later, Chrome 45 and later and Microsoft Edge no longer support Java. Closing.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants