Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add documentation hints to the welcome dialog #1690

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 23, 2011 · 6 comments
Open

Add documentation hints to the welcome dialog #1690

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 23, 2011 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by clev on 2011-07-23 14:00
Several new NVDA users ignore the existence of an NVDA documentation and the advantages of reading it. I suggest adding one more sentence to the welcome dialog to try helping a little more on this. Thus, the entire welcome text could be like this:

Welcome to NVDA!\n
Most commands for controlling NVDA require you to hold down the NVDA key while pressing other keys.\n
By default, the numpad insert and main insert keys may both be used as the NVDA key.\n
You can also configure NVDA to use the CapsLock as the NVDA key.\n
Press NVDA+n at any time to activate the NVDA menu.\n
From this menu, you can configure NVDA, get help and access other NVDA functions.\n
For more details about NVDA, please see the NVDA user's guide and the key command refference found in the help sub menu, in this same menu.\n

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-07-24 06:49
Adding an additional sentence seems superfluous to me, since we say the user can "get help" from the NVDA menu. Why is this not enough? If this does indeed need to be changed, I'd suggest rewording that phrase rather than adding another sentence. I think shorter is better in this case.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2011-07-24 08:24
Very difficult. We as humans tend to have the attitude, if all else fails, then read the manual, so I somehow doubt you would get any further by adding things.
There may well be some milage in flagging up help more when the dialogues are redesigned to allow tabbing etc between the various items rather than either opening up one at a time as now though.

I actually find nvda quite intuitive at the getting started level. However, this has to be a personal view.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 6, 2017

Any opinions on this matter for new NVDA users? @Qchristensen @jcsteh do you still stick by your comment in #1690 (comment)?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I tend to agree that if the user is inclined to look up help first off, they will, otherwise it probably won't make any difference how much prodding we do at the point of the welcome screen. I can't think of any better place to come back and suggest it later, unless we put up a dialog on say the 5th start of the program (nothing scientific behind that, just a number, but by then they've hopefully used the program for a few days, got a bit of a feel for it and could then start to make sense of some of the things in the user guide rather than being bombarded on first run).

If changing that sentence on the Welcome diolog, maybe something like:

From this menu, you can access NVDA settings, tools and help including the NVDA User Guide.\n

@bhavyashah
Copy link

However #1951 is approached, i.e. whether the Welcome dialog text is rephrased or the Open User Guide button is added, this ticket will be effectively tackled. Thus, I suggest closing this as a duplicate of #1951. @ehollig

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

I like the idea. Or provide users shortcuts for NVDA-Menu and may be other important commands. This will make it easier for beginnners.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants