Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Notepad++ autocompletion tooltips not announced #1701

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 1, 2011 · 15 comments
Closed

Notepad++ autocompletion tooltips not announced #1701

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 1, 2011 · 15 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by andre14 on 2011-08-01 10:14
Notepad++ is note very accessible with NVDA.
Ex:

• The tooltips do autocompletion not announced
  • Number line are not announced.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by andre14 on 2011-08-01 10:16
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA and Notepad++" to "NVDA and Notepad++'s accessibility"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-08-01 10:46
Problems with two features hardly equates to "not very accessible". In fact, line numbers are reported correctly if you enable NVDA menu -> Preferences -> Document formatting -> Report line numbers, so it's only one feature. I use Notepad++ as my primary programming editor and have no issues, though I'll grant I don't use all of its features.

Regarding autocompletion, you say it uses tooltips. Do you have reporting of tooltips enabled?

If you have specific issues, please file them as individual tickets. I've morphed this ticket to just cover the autocompletion issue.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA and Notepad++'s accessibility" to "Notepad++ autocompletion tooltips not announced"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by advck1123 (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-08-18 16:58
Replying to jteh:

Problems with two features hardly equates to "not very accessible". In fact, line numbers are reported correctly if you enable NVDA menu -> Preferences -> Document formatting -> Report line numbers, so it's only one feature. I use Notepad++ as my primary programming editor and have no issues, though I'll grant I don't use all of its features.

Regarding autocompletion, you say it uses tooltips. Do you have reporting of tooltips enabled?

If you have specific issues, please file them as individual tickets. I've morphed this ticket to just cover the autocompletion issue.

notepad++ autocompletion not announce. I'am checked report tooltips in object setting menu.
Please fix this issue. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by parham on 2015-07-17 05:55
I have verified that tooltips are not announced even when announcing tooltips is on in the Object Presentation preferences. Below are the steps to reproduce:

1. Make a file called test.py.
  2. In the first line, write anything. For example, set the test variable to the string "Hello world".
  3. iN the second line, just type "i" (without the quotes). The tooltip will appear at this point, with keywords such as "if". Now, press up and down arrow keys. NVDA will just announce the letter I.

@frastlin
Copy link

Hello,
As this is an issue on Notepad++ accessibility, I would like to put forward a couple features that would make Notepad++ loads easier to use (for me anyways):

1. In the settings dialogues, in particular the keyboard mapping dialogue, the pains that have a list of short-cuts is blank to nvda (it just says "pain"). This means I can't really change any preference that has dialogues like this.
  2. When I press tab, I would love if NVDA could say how deep I am. (level 1, level 2, level 3...)
  3. When I press ctrl+[ and ctrl+] I would love it if NVDA could say a line when I jump to the start of the new paragraph, so I know where I am.
  4. I would also love it if there was some way to hear the number of unmatched braces in the file as I am starting in C# and counting braces is really difficult for me.
    Thanks,

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Nov 22, 2016

CC @derekriemer

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

derekriemer commented Nov 22, 2016

See this addon I've been working on. It fixes this dialog.

https://github.com/derekriemer/nvda-notepadPlusPlus/

You can download the latest build on appVeyor at
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/o3b5n5evogue7s7o/artifacts/NotepadPlusPlus-1.0.nvda-addon

Note: I often add functionality. Periodically check the github repo, or
if you are on the cutting edge, grab automatically built addons from
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/derekriemer/nvda-notepadplusplus/build/artifacts
every once in a while.

When I press tab, I would love if NVDA could say how deep I am.
(level 1, level 2, level 3...)

You can. Take a look at the Line indentation reporting feature of
document formatting in NVDA. Prior to 2016.4, it announces for example,
3 tab, 4 tab, 1 tab, no indent. In 2016.4, you can choose to have this
indicated via tones as well. If you mean via pressing tab, this is a bit
of a specialized usecase, maybe an addon to do this would be useful. Do
you want similar to Ed Sharp for this? There's only one problem I have
with this feature.

If you press tab in the middle of a line, bad things happen. Notepad++
doesn't change the indent level unless tab is pressed at the beginning
of the line, so this feature is IMHO more of an editor feature than a
screen reader feature.

1. Good point. Can you create an issue on the notepad++ addon issue
    tracker (The addon linked above)?
  2. I'm not sure notepad++ can get this, it would require a custom
    parser. I could do this, however short term, have you thought of
    pressing control+b to move to matching brace? this can help with your
    bracing issue. Also, good indenting and making sure things are indented
    properly is really helpful here as you can hear the indent level and see
    if it doesn't match your bracing level. Also, take a look at notepad++'s
    autoinsert braces thing under autocomplete.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

The tool tips are weird here. They're actually a list of autocomplete suggestions that appear in a top-level window.

@frastlin
Copy link

This addon looks amazing! why is it not at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/dev.en.html

I am switching from EdSharp and I would like similar functionality to EdSharp.

I really love the feature that EdSharp has where you can press tab anywhere on a line and it will indent and tell you the new level. I'm really surprised it is not a feature in notepad++ as tabs are never used anywhere else in code other than at the start of a line. So at the moment I would much rather have a tab (when not accepting code completion) indent the whole line.

Currently what I'm having problems with is using the auto brace completion feature. If I have code like:

function fu(f){
f()
}

fu(function(){
for(i=0;i<10;i++){
if(i%2){
console.log("oddities

I have:
")
}}} (properly indented) and I don't know how to take advantage of them without leaving the main keyboard. I could use arrows, but that is pretty slow and it would be faster just to type them. Also when I do type braces, it throws the brace completion out of wack.
Perhaps a key command like rerouting nvda+enter to move out a level, so in the above example, it would go to each | in order as the jump to next outer key is pressed (nvda+enter):
")
|
}
|
}
|
}
|

so each time you press something like nvda+enter it will move you to the next |.
But I'm sure people have already figured this out, it is probably just me who is not used to brace or code completion.

Perhaps you may consider creating
an official Notepad++ plugin
that will use something like
Tolk
so all screen readers on Windows can be supported and one can create lots of custom functionality only screen reader users would like.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

derekriemer commented Nov 22, 2016

Its not on that site as I am thinking of opening a pull request against
NVDA to include it by default. As I said, do you mind putting bugs
against it for features you'd like, as its still beta.

cc @tuukkao

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 19, 2018

@derekriemer, is this still on the road map?

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

probably isn't happening soon. Feel free to add to the website

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@frastlin, @andre14 could you please give an update on this? How is it now working with NVDA 2019.3.1 or 2020.1 Beta?

@frastlin
Copy link

Yes, this is fixed, but when you insert the word by hitting tab, the word is not announced like it is when you hit enter.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@frastlin thanks for the quick reply. Could you please create a new issue describing the behavior when pressing tab to add suggested word? It would raise the attention much more than in this issue. I am closing this for now as works for me.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants