Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Change the order in which highlighting is spoken. #1707

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 5, 2011 · 14 comments
Closed

Change the order in which highlighting is spoken. #1707

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 5, 2011 · 14 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ashleycox on 2011-08-05 13:43
When selecting text with nvda, nvda reads "selecting" and then the text. It would be nice to have an option to swap these around so that nvda reads the piece of text, and then "selected". It takes a while to listen to nvda read "selected" when highlighting along a line.
Blocking #3508

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by kevinchao89 on 2011-08-05 14:45
Absolutely agreed! Having to hear NVDA speak "selected" before each line, word, and/or character that is being selected is redudnant, inefficient, and unneded. Please have an option whereby the order in which NVDA reports text and "selected" can be reversed, where the changed content (text) is read before the static action (selectedbbbbbbbbbbbbbbcbbbbbbbbbbbbbbccccccccc)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2011-08-05 14:56
Well, the way I use this is that I find it nice to know selecting is working. Thus, in selecting characters, words or lines I can hear it say selecting, and just stop every so often to hear that what is expected is in fact where the cursor is and what has been selected is as i expect it to be.

Otherwise, you would get to the end, only to find none of it has been selected at all.

It depends on how you work quite frankly.

I don't want to get nvda cloged up with zillions of options, but maybe one in this sort of case is needed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Ahiiron (in reply to comment 2) on 2011-08-05 21:42
Replying to briang1:

Well, the way I use this is that I find it nice to know selecting is working. Thus, in selecting characters, words or lines I can hear it say selecting, and just stop every so often to hear that what is expected is in fact where the cursor is and what has been selected is as i expect it to be.

Otherwise, you would get to the end, only to find none of it has been selected at all.

It depends on how you work quite frankly.

I don't want to get nvda cloged up with zillions of options, but maybe one in this sort of case is needed.

Agreed. I personally don't see the need to make it say "selected" last, and would rather know if something is working as expected right away, but a simple toggle from before to after could be useful for others just wanting to hear the text first.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ashleycox on 2011-08-05 21:49
I agree with all your comments. The main reason I'd like an option to say selected last is because I do a lot of code development, and in situations like that it's important to be able to quickly select items in a document, sometimes character by character. It makes things so much easier to hear selected last in this situation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by clev on 2011-08-22 12:50
Not sure whether this is for another ticket, but, in order to increase the speed of navigating web pages, please add as well an option to supress or change the order of that kind of message that says "out of frame", "out of link", etc., whenever I press any navigation quick key, so we can hear the element text first.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Ahiiron (in reply to comment 5) on 2011-08-22 17:52
Replying to clev:

Not sure whether this is for another ticket, but, in order to increase the speed of navigating web pages, please add as well an option to supress or change the order of that kind of message that says "out of frame", "out of link", etc., whenever I press any navigation quick key, so we can hear the element text first.

This is a separate issue/request; please file another ticket regarding this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jhomme on 2012-08-30 18:18
Or make it so that if the user wants, they can turn off the speaking of selected because they know they are using keys that select something.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by leonarddr on 2013-09-09 06:45
I agree with the suggestions done above and in #3508.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by ashleycox on 2014-03-19 17:19
Is this something that is likely to be added? This is an old ticket, and a very minor change that would not be hard to implement - I thought it a good idea to bring this up again, due to the recent discussion of this issue on the NVDA mailing list.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-10-22 04:57
In commit 38c42f7:
Merge branch 't1707' into next. Incubates #1707
Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh on 2015-10-22 05:05
Speaking of selection currently doesn't use speakSpelling at all, so it's actually not blocked by #4874. That said, we will want to refactor selection reporting as part of speech refactor.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2016.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-11-01 23:16
In commit 0f740c3:
When selecting text, the text is reported before the indication of selection instead of after.

• When selecting text, announce "selected" after the text rather than "selecting" before.
  • When unselecting text announce "unselected" after the text rather than "unselecting" before.
  • When removing the selection entirely and also selecting something else announce "selected instead" after the new text rather than 'selection removed" and then "selecting" and the new text.

Fixes #1707.
Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by JamaicanUser on 2015-11-09 00:33
Shouldn't the milestone be changed? Or will this not make it into 2015.4?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 18 by jteh on 2015-11-09 01:56
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2016.1 to 2015.4

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.4 milestone Nov 10, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…lection instead of after.

* When selecting text, announce "selected" after the text rather than "selecting" before.
* When unselecting text announce "unselected" after the text rather than "unselecting" before.
* When removing the selection entirely and also selecting something else announce "selected instead" after the new text rather than 'selection removed" and then "selecting" and the new text.

Fixes #1707.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant