Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

custom symbol groupings #1708

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 5, 2011 · 8 comments
Closed

custom symbol groupings #1708

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 5, 2011 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mehgcap on 2011-08-05 19:13
The new symbol settings are great. I would like to see it taken one step further, by allowing users to define different punctuation schemes. For instance, I might want parentheses, braces, and the like spoken when writing programming code, but not when reading a webpage, while editing a wordprocessor document could require a different set of symbols. My suggestion, therefore, is to allow the user to create a new punctuation group in addition to the four standard ones, then add symbols. A keystroke to quickly cycle through the available groups, or to bring up the punctuation settings dialog, would be very helpful if this were implemented. Even if it were not, though, such a keystroke would be great to have. Currently, I treat the "most" setting as my programming setting and "some" as my reading setting. The ability to quickly, and globally, toggle between the two would be wonderful.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Ahiiron on 2011-08-05 21:37
You should be able to hit NVDA+P to toggle the punctuation globally.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-08-05 22:42
As noted in comment:1, we already have a global command to switch levels. Do you still feel the need for custom levels even so?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mehgcap on 2011-08-05 23:10
Sorry, I forgot about the punctuation switching command. Yes, I still feel that custom levels would be very useful, even more so now that I know a command to quickly select one is already in place. Better still, let an application select a level automatically (this is probably in an application script). So, for instance, switching to an IDE selects your programming level, focusing on IE, Firefox, or another browser selects a different level, and so forth.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by m11chen on 2011-08-06 04:54
Hi,

I think it would be pretty easy to make modifications to the appModules for the different applications to have auto switching of punctuation levels. In my view, NVDA's developers intentionally designed the structure of the screen reader to allow for the flexibility of implementing small custom functionality such as this one. This has been made even easier with the introduction of globalPlugins. Every user has different needs and it would be impossible to include everyone's particular preferences without introducing a large overhead of settings, as is the case of some commercial screen readers such as JAWS. I think the resulting time spent by users is the same for users in both cases, in that if NVDA users want simple enhancements to existing functionality, one would need to spend a little time getting familiar with python and the structure of NVDA to make changes to one's personal version of NVDA. JAWS users would need to dig through the immensely large amount of built-in settings to find the exact one that matches one's need.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 on 2011-08-06 14:28
I have actually hijacked the Some punctuation level for my custom setting via the editor, so that the list of symbols in some is not as per the default.
I guess you could do this to all of them , well two of them if you wish. I have also changed the way some are spoken too.
However, maybe the answer to the last comment is for somone to suggest some way to do this modification. Surely at the moment, one would need the source of the app module which exists and then add some commands to it to achieve what is envisaged.
Probably beyond most people who are just users. I know what you mean though about other screenreaders functions and stuff. they all have huge trees of things to alter.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

If I understand mehgcap correctly, shouldn't this be possible via customized symbol pronunciations for an app-specific profile? CC @Brian1Gaff and @jcsteh to elucidate

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

I think profiles are the correct way to deal with this. You could trigger profiles for specific apps or manually switch profiles. There are open requests for faster manual switching of profiles (though I don't have issue numbers offhand). Closing as won't fix.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 7, 2017

One of the issues you are looking for is #4209

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants