Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add levels to the capital letters indication #1712

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 9, 2011 · 6 comments
Closed

Add levels to the capital letters indication #1712

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 9, 2011 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by zahari_bgr on 2011-08-09 16:09
I suggest a new option in the voice settings dialog, a combobox that determine when capital letters to be indicated:

1. When reading by char;
  2. When reading by char or word;
  3. When reading by char, word, or line;
  4. When reading by char, word, line or paragraph;
  5. When reading by char, word, line, paragraph and during say all.

It will be very useful for editing texts. Current methods for indication of capitals can be used as they are.

Blocked by #3286

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-08-09 21:39
This doesn't make sense. If there is only a capital letter at the start of a word, how is NVDA supposed to indicate that there is only a capital at the start of the word instead of for the whole word (e.g. Nvda versus NVDA)?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by parham (in reply to comment 1) on 2011-08-10 05:06
Replying to jteh:

This doesn't make sense. If there is only a capital letter at the start of a word, how is NVDA supposed to indicate that there is only a capital at the start of the word instead of for the whole word (e.g. Nvda versus NVDA)?

The way I'veseen it done is something likethis:

I'm using NVDA
-->
cap I'm using caps NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-08-10 05:22
Right, so this doesn't work with raise pitch for capitals. Thanks for the clarification.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by parham (in reply to comment 3) on 2011-08-10 06:28
Replying to jteh:

Right, so this doesn't work with raise pitch for capitals. Thanks for the clarification.

Yep. At least the way I've seen it done doesn't. In my opinion, the problem with raising the pitch instead of saying "cap"/"caps" is that it would be hard to listen to, and you can't just raise the pitch for one letter (E.G. how would "Indeed"—with capital I—be pronounced?).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by zahari_bgr on 2014-03-18 03:48
Hi,
I don't know about raise pitch for capitals - I'm always using Beep for capitals and I set raise pitch for capitals to 0, cause it is sometimes hard to recognize the pronounced letter behind the beep.
Playing beeps and/or using cap/caps to indicate presents of capital letters is quite enough.
This request originally came from Rumiana Kamenska, who is a professional editor and who takes care of syntax and semantics of the Bulgarian localization of NVDA.
Of course such feature will be useful to anyone who cares whether their texts are having all names' first letter capitalized, etc.
It will be useful to software developers too - when using simple text editor without auto-complete, or when just reading source code.
I saw several similar request over the years - on the mailing lists and may be one or two in this issue tracker like #3286

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-10-29 23:23
Marking this as a duplicate of #3286, as there is more specific discussion going on there even though it was filed after.
Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant