Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Installer embedded inside NVDA #1715

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 10, 2011 · 7 comments
Closed

Installer embedded inside NVDA #1715

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 10, 2011 · 7 comments
Assignees
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2011-08-10 01:32
We are going to move away from the separate NSIS installer and instead have the installer as part of NVDA itself (written in Python). Instead of having both portable and installer packages, there will be a single launcher which extracts and launches NVDA in a temporary location. The user can then either just use NVDA temporarily, install it or make a portable copy. The launcher will be built using NSIS, but it is fairly simple.

Work has already begun in http://bzr.nvaccess.org/nvda/repackaged/
Blocking #2172

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-09-09 06:33
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.3 to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ateu on 2011-11-19 02:43
Hi,

Was this project abandoned?

I think it is so intersting.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2011-11-19 05:31
No, just put on hold. We really do want to complete the project, but it is of course rather tricky to get right, and will greatly affect our users if we do make any mistakes.
We wanted to put all our concentration towards 2011.3, so once this is finally released I may look at it again. Much of the code has been written, but we're still playing with some of the internals (e.g. logging of files installed etc).
was hoping for 2012.1, but still not sure.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment by jteh on 2012-03-19 03:17
(In #2172) Should hopefully be fixed by #1715.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-03-19 09:17
I raised the ticket because I thought simply adding the extra text would be simple and take any pressure off of this project which I fully understand is quite difficult and a major job.

On the freelist list this question of long uninstalls comes up quite often. I'm not really sure what the cause might be, but one assumes the same changes and deletions etc will need to be done when updating using the new system as now, so it might well cause the same problems. Other software also seems to do this, but the comments do help allay any worries of it getting stuck.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-03-29 10:56
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2012.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2012-04-05 04:33
Merged in 4a92f6a. Any further issues should be filed as tickets in the installer component.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants