Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

white space before a link at the start of a line requires you to tab to the link when navigating around with arrow keys. #1716

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 10, 2011 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dwillemv on 2011-08-10 18:58
Normally when I navigate around with my arrow keys on a page and there is a link at the start of a line, I can just press enter if the link is on its own line or at the start of the line.

In firefox on the gmail website, the "show search options" has a single space before the link starts and when I press enter it does not activate. If there is other text, I understand why the link is not activated, but I think this should ignore white space.

Note that when I tested this in internet explorer, this was not a problem as it seemed to strip the space before the link and it activated.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Ahiiron (in reply to comment description) on 2011-08-10 20:27
Replying to dwillemv:

Normally when I navigate around with my arrow keys on a page and there is a link at the start of a line, I can just press enter if the link is on its own line or at the start of the line.

In firefox on the gmail website, the "show search options" has a single space before the link starts and when I press enter it does not activate. If there is other text, I understand why the link is not activated, but I think this should ignore white space.

Use the letter K to move to the actual link. i think ignoring whitespace isn't the best idea, because about all the Braille users out there, it's good for them to see the actual formatting of the page wherever possible. E.g, paragraph indents or some other indentations.

Note that when I tested this in internet explorer, this was not a problem as it seemed to strip the space before the link and it activated.

Firefox and IE render pages differently, so NVDA may have different results in one browser vs another.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dwillemv (in reply to comment 1) on 2011-08-10 22:52
Hi. I was not suggesting for nvda to strip white space, but simply to activate a link if there is only white space between the link and the start of the line. I also mentioned my results with IE to prevent confusion for someone who tested my findings with it.

Replying to Ahiiron:

Replying to dwillemv:

Use the letter K to move to the actual link. i think ignoring whitespace isn't the best idea, because about all the Braille users out there, it's good for them to see the actual formatting of the page wherever possible. E.g, paragraph indents or some other indentations.

Firefox and IE render pages differently, so NVDA may have different results in one browser vs another.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-08-12 01:01
If you disable screen layout, all links, etc. will always appear at the start of the line. Is this sufficient?

Ignoring whitespace at the start of a line when activating a control could be problematic if the user really did want to click the whitespace for some reason. (Stranger things have been necessary on certain web sites.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by zahari_bgr on 2015-03-04 03:37
Hi,
I also think NVDA should not strip white-spaces.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 28, 2017

I think I agree with @jcsteh in #1716 (comment). Disabling screen layout will allow for all links to appear at the start of the line. I think when screen layout is enabled, it should show text as it is visually displayed on screen, including spaces. I do not believe anything else should be done on this ticket and should be safely closed.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Jul 29, 2017 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think this issue can be clolsed because it works when screen layout is disabled. Moreover, the gemail website has been redesigned.

The initial author is welcome to reopen a new issue with a current website if this issue is still reproducible.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 27, 2018

Closing because of the solution provided in #1716 (comment)

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Jul 27, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants