Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Getting to the previous page does not jump to the same position in orkut.com #1729

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 22, 2011 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by clev on 2011-08-22 13:43
To reproduce this, go to any comunity in the Orkut.com social network, then to the comunity forum, where you will get a table containing the forum topics. Enter a topic, then jump a bit around using for example the h key for jumping between the topic messages, then press alt-left arrow for getting back to the forum main page. Instead of being placed at the topic link you just entered, the browse mode remains in the same position you were in the topic you have just left, as if you haven't even changed the page.

It's worth noting that orkut.com maintains two layouts, one classing/older and another newer. I like using the older one, which offers more heading navigation, however I'm almost sure the problem occurs in both the layouts.

I cannot precise now what NVDA version it started happening from, but it certainly didn't happen in 2011.1 and happens in 2011.2.

I'm using Internet Explorer 8, don't know how other browsers behave.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by surveyor (in reply to comment description) on 2011-08-22 22:18
Replying to clev:

To reproduce this, go to any comunity in the Orkut.com social network, then to the comunity forum, where you will get a table containing the forum topics. Enter a topic, then jump a bit around using for example the h key for jumping between the topic messages, then press alt-left arrow for getting back to the forum main page. Instead of being placed at the topic link you just entered, the browse mode remains in the same position you were in the topic you have just left, as if you haven't even changed the page.

Another example is www.bianet.org
After loading the page, select among links, you can move around with H, and open one. Then go back a page, you should see the focus is not at the position previously left off.
I've tested with IE9 and FF 6 with the same result.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2011-08-22 22:34
@clev: Can you provide more exact steps to reproduce; e.g. a direct URL and links you followed? Do you need to have an account to use this service? Please include steps to switch to the classic layout. Exact steps to reproduce help to ensure we can reproduce the issue exactly. We can then generalise from there.

@Surveyor: The web site you provided always loads the top part of the page but then takes a short time (at least a second) to load the bottom part, even when you use the back command in the browser. Thus, when the document loads, NVDA can't find the last remembered position because it isn't there yet. I'm not sure if we can do anything about this. Anyway, I suspect it's a separate issue, since the page does update, whereas apparently browse mode stays on the previous page with orkut.com. If you want this investigated further, please file another ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by clev (in reply to comment 3) on 2011-08-23 00:37
Replying to jteh:

@clev: Can you provide more exact steps to reproduce;

OK, interestingly, I have just discovered that if you browse a community without being logged in with an Orkut account, NVDA behaves correctly, e.g, it comes back to the position you left off. You can create an Orkut account using either any GMail address or any address you use for a Google service. See for example this community forum (it's in Brazilian Portuguese):
http://www.orkut.com.br/CommTopics?cmm=56413144

Press t for the table, then k to the first link and enter it, then wait the page loads and press h til the last heading, then alt-left arrow to get back to the forum. If you do it as an anonymous user, NVDA respects the position you were, but if you do it logged in, it does not.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by clev (in reply to comment 4) on 2011-08-23 00:57
Forgot to tell how to switch from the new layout to the old. I'm not sure whether the new layout is the default nowadays, but there is a link to the old version between the settings link and the log out link, all near the top of the page. Not sure whether the links names are actually those in the English Orkut.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 15, 2017

The link that the author of this ticket provided is no longer available. I have experienced NVDA not remembering the exact location of where you were on the page with browse mode after hitting the back button, but do not have a good STR right now.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Sounds like a bug in javascript coding. If the site is gone, closing as invalid.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants