Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Filtering of links list #173

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 4 comments
Closed

Filtering of links list #173

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ragb on 2008-09-11 15:49
These suggestions were reported and discuced in NVDA's portuguese list to improove the links list dialog in the web browser:

• There are not keyboard shortcuts to activate the dialog buttons (except the default one). The "move to link" function could be activated with the space key, this was implemented in the comercial brazilian screen reader !VirTual Vision and users report it providing very positive results.
  • There are no buttons to open links in other window or tab (I don't agree with this myself, I think this is a bit overkill...). Users suggest shift+enter to open on a new Window and control+enter to ope a new tab.
  • Provide some kind of combubox where the user can write the few first letters of a link title and the combubox will just provide links starting with those letters. (maby making the links list a combubox will work?)

Blocked by #363

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2008-09-11 22:41
Replying to ragb:

• There are not keyboard shortcuts to activate the dialog buttons (except the default one).

This is probably a fault of the translation. In English, the buttons have shortcut keys such that you can press alt+m to move to link or alt+a (or enter) to activate it. The translation needs to include an ampersand (&) before the character that should be the shortcut key.

The "move to link" function could be activated with the space key

I do not feel this is a good idea, as it prevents users from typing link names with space characters to quickly navigate the list. Previously, space also activated the default button and it was requested that we change this (see r2124).

• There are no buttons to open links in other window or tab (I don't agree with this myself, I think this is a bit overkill...). Users suggest shift+enter to open on a new Window and control+enter to ope a new tab.

I'm not sure we could do this even if we wanted to, as I think the only way to do this is to move to the link and physically press that key. Besides, pressing alt+m on the link (or whatever the key is in your translation) and then pressing ctrl+enter is not so hard.

• Provide some kind of combubox where the user can write the few first letters of a link title and the combubox will just provide links starting with those letters. (maby making the links list a combubox will work?)

This could be interesting. I don't think I'd like to take the list away, as it allows for faster navigation, but we could consider adding a filter field to filter the results.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ragb (in reply to comment 2) on 2008-09-12 12:38
Replying to jteh:

Replying to ragb:

• There are not keyboard shortcuts to activate the dialog buttons (except the default one).

This is probably a fault of the translation. In English, the buttons have shortcut keys such that you can press alt+m to move to link or alt+a (or enter) to activate it. The translation needs to include an ampersand (&) before the character that should be the shortcut key.

This is working at least in pt_pt translation and in my opinion it is the best way, users are beeing convinced to press alt+m :)

The "move to link" function could be activated with the space key

I do not feel this is a good idea, as it prevents users from typing link names with space characters to quickly navigate the list. Previously, space also activated the default button and it was requested that we change this (see r2124).

I asked how The !virtual vision screen reader handles links starting with spaces but seems no one knows...:) That is a good question

I'm not sure we could do this even if we wanted to, as I think the only way to do this is to move to the link and physically press that key. Besides, pressing alt+m on the link (or whatever the key is in your translation) and then pressing ctrl+enter is not so hard.

Agreed

This could be interesting. I don't think I'd like to take the list away, as it allows for faster navigation, but we could consider adding a filter field to filter the results.

The filter is a good idea, portuguese speaking users liked it too :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2009-07-13 02:19
Changes:
Changed title from "More features to links list" to "Filtering of links list"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2009-07-15 07:39
Implemented in the new elements list dialog, which was committed in r3059.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants