Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Can't quit NVDA while modal dialog is open #1740

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 31, 2011 · 11 comments · Fixed by #12183
Closed

Can't quit NVDA while modal dialog is open #1740

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 31, 2011 · 11 comments · Fixed by #12183
Assignees
Labels
bug component/NVDA-GUI p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2011-08-31 16:37
To demonstrate.
Run IE or Firefox
Open elements list
use the right alt/n shortcut to restart nvda. No falling tones will be heard but it will reboot. If one does this via a batch file, ie nvda.exe -q and views the log, it can be seen that the nvda session is not terminated.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-09-01 01:36
This occurs with all custom modal dialogs. It seems you just can't quit while a modal dialog is open. Unfortunately, the only solution I've been able to come up with is not using modal dialogs at all, which is painful.
Changes:
Changed title from "nvda restart does not terminate normally if Elements list is open" to "CAn't quit NVDA while modal dialog is open"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-09-01 01:37
Changes:
Changed title from "CAn't quit NVDA while modal dialog is open" to "Can't quit NVDA while modal dialog is open"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2011-09-01 08:11
Looks to me though that the quit does quit the dialogue, but presumably at that point the request to quit the program has been lost somewhere.
I've yet to find this problem affecting the reboot of nvda though, so does nvda just get terminated much as it does in the command prompt problem when terminating that window with the mouse?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2011-09-01 22:34
Replying to briang1:

I've yet to find this problem affecting the reboot of nvda though, so does nvda just get terminated

Yes. nvda -q and nvda -r will try graceful termination. If that doesn't work within 4 seconds, they will just kill the process, similar to End Process in Task Manager.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Since you seem to have replicated as well as investigated this ticket in the past (as indicated in #1740 (comment)), could you please share updates about the current standing of the reported issue as well as methods of resolving it?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

It still persists. No idea how to fix it besides never using modal dialogs, which isn't really feasible.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

In that case, should we close this as cantfix?

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Aug 7, 2017
@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

No; I'm hoping further investigation might reveal a solution eventually. P3 to investigate.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Just noting this issue is still present. I just had contact with a new user who was confused about not being able to quit NVDA - it turned out they had left the welcome dialog open.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

We pop up a warning when a user tries to open a dialog with one already open (eg trying to open settings twice) - could we pop up a similar message when trying to show the quit dialog with a dialog open?

My preference would be simply override any open dialogs and force close any dialogs if needed - if the user wants to quit, that's a fairly clear command - we should at least warn them if NVDA can't rather than no message and not doing what they asked. Interestingly from a UX point of view - it does this on screens which won't lose data like the welcome screen, or request to collect information screen, but not on more critical screens such as the settings screen where a user might have changed something which may not be saved.

@seanbudd seanbudd self-assigned this Mar 25, 2021
@seanbudd seanbudd linked a pull request Mar 25, 2021 that will close this issue
7 tasks
@seanbudd
Copy link

My preference would be simply override any open dialogs and force close any dialogs if needed - if the user wants to quit, that's a fairly clear command

This behaviour has been implemented on #12183

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/NVDA-GUI p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

5 participants