Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Error with console window on NVDA R4619 #1742

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 1, 2011 · 4 comments
Closed

Error with console window on NVDA R4619 #1742

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 1, 2011 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by PZajda on 2011-09-01 19:44
When I run NVDA using python nvda.pyw and go to a console window, I have the following error:
ERROR - NVDAObjects.behaviors.Dynamic_IAccessibleWinConsoleWindowNVDAObject._monitor (21:15:03):
Error getting initial lines
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\nvda\main\source\NVDAObjects\behaviors.py", line 217, in _monitor
oldLines = self._getTextLines()
File "C:\nvda\main\source\NVDAObjects\window\winConsole.py", line 48, in _getTextLines
return winConsoleHandler.getConsoleVisibleLines()
File "C:\nvda\main\source\winConsoleHandler.py", line 96, in getConsoleVisibleLines
consoleScreenBufferInfo=wincon.GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(consoleOutputHandle)
File "C:\nvda\main\source\wincon.py", line 56, in GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo
raise WinError()
WindowsError: 6 Descripteur non valide

It is the same case if I try to read the console which execute NVDA.pyw or another console.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2011-09-01 21:37
Running python nvda.pyw is for debugging only and is not a supported way to run NVDA. You should generally use pythonw, since nvda.pyw is a GUI application. When you run python nvda.pyw, it attaches to a console, so NVDA can't attach to any other consoles. This is a limitation of the Windows console API: you can only attach to one console at a time.

Leaving open in case Mick has any ideas, but I'm pretty sure this will be a cantfix.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2011-09-01 22:37
We could probably at least allow reading of the original console all the time, though not other consoles though. I.e. realize that the first is already attached so don't fail, but gracely fail on other ones.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@michaelDCurran @jcsteh In conclusion, does #1742 (comment) imply that this issue can be potentially fixed, or should we close this ticket as a cantfix?

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

Closing as cantfix

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants