Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

IE10 crash and then bad UIA state of address bar after typing certain addresses in address bar with multiple tabs #1809

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 18, 2011 · 12 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by kevinchao89 on 2011-09-18 07:24
Windows 8 x86, NVDA Snapshot Main-4693

Start screen, IE10 Metro app;
Notice that NVDA does not speak title of app that gains focus, Internet Explorer

ALT+D for address bar, requires pressing TAB/moving around UI a bit before NVDA can get focus in address bar, type NVDA-Project.org, and ENTER;
NVDA should be able to get focus into address bar right away, typing in URL should not read suggestion, making process very verbose, and IE10 Metro app will crash

Bring up IE10 metro app again, ALT+D for address bar, Google.com;
With each press of a character in address bar, NVDA will make error sound.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment IE10 does not read title bar, verbose, and error sounds.txt added by kevinchao89 on 2011-09-18 07:24
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by kevinchao89 on 2011-09-18 21:04
Changes:
Changed title from "Windows8: IE10 Metro app - Does does not read title of app, address bar is verbose, and error sounds while typing in address" to "Windows8: IE10 Metro app - Does not read title of app, address bar is verbose, and error sounds while typing in address"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2011-09-18 23:33
Um, this is rather odd. If I open Internet Explorer from the start screen, NVDA announces the title of the app. Pressing alt+d takes me straight to the address bar. Arrowing around the address bar does not cause error sounds.
NVDA does not crash.
There seems to be something very different on our systems.
Again I should ask, does this happen with snapshot main 4695?
What page does IE automatically go to when you open it?
Did you install any other assistive technologies?
Also, are you automatically getting Windows updates? there were a few initial ones for the developer preview since I've installed it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by kevinchao89 on 2011-09-19 01:52
Ok. I had one Windows Update that was not yet applied, but I went ahead and applied it, and Windows is up-to-date. I also updated to snapshot main 4695.
From Start screen, opening IE10PP3 Metro app, following is spoken:
"title of homepage (default, MSN.com), new tab, followed by Internet Explorer."
ALT+D, Google, CTRL+ENTER, ARROWED around, ALT+D, NVDA-Project.org, ENTER, and IE10PP3 crashed.
Now, this is where is it gets interesting, re-launch IE10PP3 Metro app, type into address bar, and NVDA will make error sound with each key press. Re-launching IE10PP3 Metro app will not fix this.
Cannot kill IE10PP3 Metro app within task manager due to the entire UI for TaskManager being inaccessible with Narrator or NVDA.
No, the only thing I have installed on Windows 8 is NVDA, no other assistive technology or applications.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2011-09-19 05:53
Okay, I was able to reproduce the whole thing once.
The crash reminds me of how in IE9 on Windows7 if you type c:\windows\notepad.exe in to the address bar it will most likely crash. I'm pretty sure the crash has something to do with all the fast selecting that's going on due to it matching on older history. I shal debug this further soon.
The error sounds are because of a COMError exception in our UIA NVDAObject's eq method, which I have also noticed sometimes in Wordpad.
I will also of course investigate this one further.
I'm stil trying to work out if all this is really caused by multiple tabs, or because the addresses are not starting with "www." For instance, when I first tried, I was putting www at the beginning of the addresses and it wasn't happening.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mdcurran on 2011-09-19 05:56
Changing summary to talk specifically just about the crash / error sound. Bad focus tracking or verboseness should be handled separately.
Changes:
Changed title from "Windows8: IE10 Metro app - Does not read title of app, address bar is verbose, and error sounds while typing in address" to "IE10 crash and then bad UIA state of address bar after typing certain addresses in address bar with multiple tabs"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by kevinchao89 on 2011-09-19 07:53
What's interesting is the crash does not occur when performing the same steps or other variances with Narrator. Yes, I've noticed the error sounds elsewhere, such as navigating/reviewing info in many of the other Metro style apps, EG: Stocks, Tweet@rama, Socializer, News, etc.
Unless, the behavior of IE10PP3 Metro Style apps is different, I do not have multiple tabs open. Homepage opens, go to Google.com, and then NVDA-Project.org. I never put in www. unless the page absolutely requires it and will usually use CTRL+ENTER to have web browser automatically insert www. and .com and in the case of .org etc. I will type the ".org".
I'll hold off on filing tickets against verboseness and bad tracking as those issues are apparent with Narrator, I have filed them with Microsoft and made them aware, and I'm still trying to figure out if it's a Microsoft UIA issue or what exactly is going on there.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@michaelDCurran As indicated in #1809 (comment), you were able to successfully reproduce the reported crash. Is this still the case, or has this issue been resolved with an updated software setup? If no one is able to replicate this anymore, I suggest closing.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@michaelDCurran is this still reproducible?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jul 26, 2018 via email

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

I wote for closing as Windows 7 support ends on 2020-01-24 and IE is no longer developed further.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I agree with closing this. If there's any news or someone who can reproduce this, we can always reopen.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants